Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any particular difficulties you run into than the norm? What did you take off to get it out(master cyl., etc,)? Do you have longtubes, did you keep them on? Where are you guys anchoring to with the picker to pull it? Sorry for the quiz, thanks in advance for the info, R...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I pulled my motor out. It took about 8 hours. I had two problems, the first one was the top bolt on the starter and the second one was the power steer lines. I didn't have the right pulley puller. I left the master cylinder alone. Over all I thought it was quite easy. The fun part is going to be putting it back it.

Dan

·
Registered
960 Posts
I pull off the alternator and intake when I pull and put back in. The bolt holes that mount the alternator are great for the front to mount your chains.

I too had trouble with the top starter bolt, that is why I never put that bolt back in. Having just replaced the starter yeserday (on my last engine pull I boogered up the cylinoid) I am glad I did. I've ran without that bolt for years now.

When pulling and installing, I left my longtubes and tranny atached. Getting it back in was tough, I scratched the hell out of my longtubes and actually had to wedge it in using some force, but after an hour + of that it finally dropped in.

How are you timing your cams? I have a cam position tool I may be selling here pretty soon...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used several long extensions with a swival and came in from the front of the engine near the AC compressor to get the top bolt on the starter. Ford didn't make these cars easy for us to work on.
Stephen

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you're pulling the engine and trans together, is there any reason to remove the starter? Seems like it'd be a lot easier to remove the starter after it's all out. May justify whatever work is needed to pull the trans and engine together!

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

·
Registered
960 Posts
The starter left on will give you problems clearing where the motor mounts go in (is that the K member??). If left on you may be able to still get it out but I think you'd have more trouble and may well damage the starter.

FYI - I did one time put my engine in with tranny, LTs, & starter attached. That time the starter did pose a bit of a problem

·
Registered
736 Posts
i pulled my motor and trans with the starter on and how no problems coming out but did want to hit going back in, but it would be a pain to take it off though if its still in the car. i would leave it on to pull it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you guys equate this to the bigger 4v heads? I'm referring to width/space issues. I've got a 4v block 2v headed project in the works, will this make a difference, room wise? Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i pulled my intake, then just my motor, then dropped the tranny. going back in i bolted the tranny and motor back together complete. had no issues whatsoever. except for that damn starter bolt. damn that bolt, damn it's mother too.:mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts