Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak, and some have suggested that I did not install the reducer needed for the driver's side between the manifold and the x-pipe. I did not receive any such gasket, and the distrubutor suggests that there are no reducers available.

Any help would be appraciated. Was it the VRS pipe that comes with a reducer, or does the Magnaflow as well?
~Darren

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just installed mine and there was no reducer.:confused: Does an exhaust leak sound like ticking. Cause I've had a ticking noise from the passenger since I bought the car with the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the "reducer" they are referring to is a doubled up piece in the tubing at the connection to the exhaust manifold. I will look when I get home tonight, but I recall seeing it when I installed mine. It is not a seperate piece but incorporated into the X-pipe. I have the three piece unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No reducer came with my Magnaflow catted x-pipe delivered and installed Monday (no leaks).

·
Registered
176 Posts
What does the leak sound like? Could anyone describe it to me so that I may determine if I get one or even have one. Is it super noticeable?:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had a lsight leak ever since I installed my Magnaflow pipe. It is very slight, but still I notice it. If there is some form of reducer I'll definatly spend the 25 mins to get it on there!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Magnaflow today and mine shipped out this afternoon. Service was to notch, and there should be one with your pipe.

Just an FYI.
~Darren

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll call for mine tomorrow (just in case).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've had 4 magnaflow Xpipes(catted & uncatted) for 2001 cars, and none had a reducer. Maybe reducer isn't a good description of what you are talking about.

Driver side has a wide flange like a open mouth bass and a coupling on it that attaches to the exhaust manifold/header bolts. I'm not sure the technical term of this type of connection.

The passenger side is a solid flat flange welded on pipe about 1/4" down the pipe. Original Magnaflow pipes welded the flange flush with end of pipe which was wrong and caused leaks, the newer ones are recessed a little on the pipe like the stock h pipe.
I've some photos on website, but plenty more of the other uncatted pipes and newer flange version.

You mention they shipped it today, were you talking about a reducer they shipped to you. If so, please take a photo and post it.

Is this a older car that has flange or something??
thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
highmiles said:
I've had 4 magnaflow Xpipes(catted & uncatted) for 2001 cars, and none had a reducer. Maybe reducer isn't a good description of what you are talking about.

Driver side has a wide flange like a open mouth bass and a coupling on it that attaches to the exhaust manifold/header bolts. I'm not sure the technical term of this type of connection.

The passenger side is a solid flat flange welded on pipe about 1/4" down the pipe. Original Magnaflow pipes welded the flange flush with end of pipe which was wrong and caused leaks, the newer ones are recessed a little on the pipe like the stock h pipe.
I've some photos on website, but plenty more of the other uncatted pipes and newer flange version.

You mention they shipped it today, were you talking about a reducer they shipped to you. If so, please take a photo and post it.

Is this a older car that has flange or something??
thanks.
OK, here goes the x-pipe is 2.5" mandrel bent tubing. The stock H-pipe is 2.25" and the stock drivers side manifold has a curved surface to allow for non-ideal alignment to a 2.25" intermediate pipe. Magnaflow designed the x-pipe to be used with both the stock manifolds and aftermarket shorty headers. In order to make the transition, they've included a small piece of 2.25" tubing which is also flanged and sits inside the drivers side pipe (that attaches to the header). This means that the 2.5" flange is effectively reduced to 2.25" diameter for proper mating to the driver's side manifold.

When I first installed my x-pipe, I left this out (was stuck in the blow-molded packing material) and I didn't find it until I was throwing out the box and packing. I had a slight leak that was cured when I put this adapter in.

Hope this is of some help!

Mark

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mark...

That says it all.
~Darren

·
Registered
811 Posts
SilverStallion said:
I called Magnaflow today and mine shipped out this afternoon. Service was to notch, and there should be one with your pipe.

Just an FYI.
~Darren
By the way, I'm glad YOU got good service.

Mark

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep looks like I'll be making a call to Magnaflow tomorrow. I know for a fact I didn't have any piece. I also got mine in the begininng I'd like to say right around mid septmeber.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't remember seeing any and know I didn't install any with the Mganaflows. But I remember about 1 1/2yr ago, there was one with my Bassani Xpipe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I called Houston Performance today, where I purchased my Magnaflow catted x-pipe. I was told that Magnaflow's early production runs required the reducer. That was a while ago, Magnaflow has fixed the fit problem, and anything purchased recently, doesn't use a reducer. Apparently, Bassani still hasn't fixed the fit issue and still requires the reducer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got them with my Magnaflows, and they were installed, you do need them. If you didn't get them ,give magnaflow a call at 1-800-959-9226 or 1-800-990-0905. They will ship them to you for free.
Also with leak problems, Make sure after you have the system installed that you heat the exhaust up and retighten all the x-pipe bolts. It will help with any leak problems. Also I don't recomment doubling up on any gaskets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stink finger said:
I got them with my Magnaflows, and they were installed, you do need them. If you didn't get them ,give magnaflow a call at 1-800-959-9226 or 1-800-990-0905. They will ship them to you for free.
How long have you had your x-pipe? Mine fit pretty well and it's not leaking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I guess you need it because I just bought mine and Magnaflow is sending me a reducer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guess I don't need one...

According to Magnaflow, x-pipes that were manufactured more than 6 months ago might need a reducer, x-pipes made since don't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts