Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got into a discussion with a bowtie friend of mine on why Mustangs seem to run so well with smallblock motors. I commented on how many threads I have seen where corralers are spending a lot of time and effort to remove what would seem to some as a very small amount of weight. They know the old HP/Weight ratio still counts and also where you are "fat" Question came up of just how light some of the Mustangs are and what kind of front/rear weight distributions versus stock have been achieved. This of course has to be limited to everyday drivers to make it a fair comparison.

Anyone care to offer their results? Got a feeling that some of the results will be surprising but will establish some good realistic targets for others.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My '84 Mustang got the nickname of Swiss Stang. Not because I now live in Wisconsin, but because I swiss cheesed the metal front bumper. The stock '79-'86 front bumper weights about 30 lbs. After the use of a cutting torch, mine weighed 15 lbs. Luckily, I never got involved in a front end collision. I think I definately affected the integrity and strength of the original bumper.

'87-up mustangs use a nice lightweight fiberglass front bumper.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine weighs in at 2760lbs without me, still with power locks and widows, power mirrors and rear defrost and CD player. No heater or a/c tho.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mine weighs in at 2760lbs without me. No heater or a/c tho.
That's pretty light! What other stuff did you forget to mention? Tubular k-member, front sway bar removed, aluminum heads, gutted interior, no tailpipes, Weld wheels, fiberglass hood and hatch?

I'm going to try and put my '84 on a serious diet. It currently weighs 3,180 lbs. The first 250 lbs. should be easy, but it gets alot harder physically and financially after that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 86 is all power and it comes in at 3050 with me(190 lbs) and 1/4 tank of gas.
I have removed most of the AC stuff, installed a Hal K-member and RPM heads. I am also running a carb but still have most of the wiring still in the car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I weighed my 85 on the truck stales, with me (200 lbs) it weighted 3000 lbs. I removed the tar paper, the sound deadening stuff in the walls, all smog equipment, A/C, the swaybar and it was manual window/locks. No fiberglass parts, just removed extra stuff.

Currently I have all the tarpaper out of my 91, but I need to get the sound deadening stuff out. The carbed cars have to be lighter, that EFI intake is pretty heavy compared to a little carb not to mention the wiring. I need to weigh mine sometime so I can see some progress. Lighter is better. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts