Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions/advice for building a strong street race car. It will be going in a fox body. The car has a 12pt. cage, 12.50 tires, tons of suspension, etc. Of course there will be a power adder. I've always been a nitrous guy, but I'm open to superchargers or turbos also.

My only requirements are that the car be kept to no more than 11:1 compression and the motor not be bigger than a 351 based stroker. And it must be EFI.

My goal is solid 9 sec potential. If anyone has a proven combo they'd share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Is anyone going 10s N/A on an EFI 351 stroker with a hyd. roller?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If money is not a object it won't be a problem. Not that I ever street raced(ssshh don't tell anybody LOL) but suspension is key. Getting a car out of the hole in a street race takes alot more skill than at the track. I have seen many a higher HP car loose on the street because they can't get moving. I have never raced a turbo car but a properly set up turbo car that is just a tad soft on the low end would be tough to beat. Or a NOS car with a variable controller.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Well, with 393s easily making 500+ hp naturally aspirated, I'd say to go with that platform and supercharge. Advantage - no turbo lag and the power is always there.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Bigger displacement... always good. Ive spun my setup to over 6k already. Just got it dynoed... keep in mind when looking at the numbers the heads and intake arent touched. Box stock. But i dont mind it... this winter it will all get done and im hoping to get closer to 500rwhp with that larger MAF,TB, and injectors. Mine is hyd roller. Custom cam would also be a great advantage.

SVT

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is my opinion that is going into motion on my current ride. Turbo 393. I can build you a variable boost controller for almost no bucks. It is a very simple design using bleed setup. Here is how you benifit. You can come out of the hole on a low boost setting (say 6 psi) and at the touch of a button switch to a higher boost (say 15 psi). There are many benifits to a turbo motor on the street 1. low compression engine (ie can run on pump gas at sane boost levels) 2. stealth (until it is to late)3. always there when you need it (only beat them by a fender to keep them comming back). I to come from a spray back ground and must say I will miss the HIT (you know what I am talking about). If you can fabricate (ie headers, intercooler, all the plumbing) Go turbo! If you plan on doing it with someones "kit" ( I read kit as big markup) go with the spray. just my .02 BTW we are both looking for the same et range with the same base engine. If you do go turbo we could both benifit. I could build 2 sets of headers at one time and we could both save a bit of cash. If interested PM me

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
my buddy just bought a keith craft motor

351windsor based 750rwhp NA

it only cost him like $16,000(for the motor alone)
he goes 9.46 all motor in a 2800lb coupe

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Is anyone going 10s N/A on an EFI 351 stroker with a hyd. roller?

That's the goal with mine. Low 10s NA and high to mid 9s on spray. All I need is the $$$ to finish the project. AFR 225s and Kooks headers are a little on the expensive side.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Ian is right check out George aka Gmsux, His 428w stroker is EFI. He is running a WMS SDS setup if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Rich Gill said:

Rich, is that the blue coupe that is out at Moroso quite often? If so, that is a sweet car. He told me he was going to add the nitrous soon.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Rich Gill said:

That's awesome, but I think that may be a little more extreme than I was looking for. Is anyone around 450rwhp N/A on an EFI stroker 351? Anyone have any parts lists? Thanks so far guys.

Edit: Thanks SVTcobraLTD. I saw your sig. I'm just trying to get lots of options.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
FullAuto said:
Edit: Thanks SVTcobraLTD. I saw your sig. I'm just trying to get lots of options.
Do you have a swap list yet? I think with the right parts you can get 450rwhp even though im only at 420rwhp with a 393. Its all about the right choice in parts.

SVT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts