Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article years ago on Evan Smith's car where they elminated the s-spring on the trac-lok, and had 5 clutches on each side. Anyone ever try this and what positive/negative experiences did it cause. Evan seem to have great results with his...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think you can eliminate the s spring. It is what makes the clutches work. I have heard of people swaping the stock s spring for the stiffer s spring out of a ford truck for more pressure on the clutches. I don't think the stock Trac-Loc unit will work with out a spring in there.

I could be wrong, just my opinion,

Clint

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah I have never heard of that either. I had my T-Loc rebuilt a while back and they put in xtra clutches and a s spring out of a camaro said it was much stiffer. It was tight as hell.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The article says that the s-spring was not used, had 5 clutches on each side with a special shim, I would assume that it was so tight that it stayed engaged sort of like a spool thus requiring no s-spring??? Maybe the article was misprinted....

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
sounds hokey

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The S-spring only provides PRELOAD, it is NOT what makes the clutches work. It also has no bearing on how many clutches you can put in the diff. The clutches work when torque is applied and the axles try to turn different speeds, regardless of the presence of the S-spring. The S-spring appears to help most in very low traction situations where there's so little traction available that neither tire can generate the torque against the diff necessary to make it lock otherwise. Other than that it's pretty much along for the ride. Lots of people run the heavier F-150 S-spring but nobldy really knows why it's there in the first place nor why they should or should not run a heavier one. Conversely there are a lot of autocrossers and road racers who run without an S-spring to reduce locking action under coasting and decel so the car doesn't want to understeer so bad.

I've been running the extra cluches with a stock S-spring for 2 years with fine results, and next time I rebuild mine I'm leaving my S-spring out and I won't lose any sleep over it, since it spends more time autocrossing than it does in mud or snow.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MFE, that article said that the diff was set up with no preload, which goes right along with what you are saying

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I wish I knew about leaving that spring out. It's the bad part about the whole job. Without that stupid spring, you could do a rebuild in about 15min.

·
Registered
206 Posts
MFE is right. Understand that in a drag race setup, the sudden take off from the line causes the beveled spider gears to push against the side gears pushing them away from the spiders gears. Therefore the side gears squeeze the clutches tight against the inside of the carrier.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I know how the thing works, I just never thought about leaving out the spring before. I'd think this would help alot with parking lot chatter and might even cut down on wear. On the other hand, it might make wet parking lot doughnuts a little tougher ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts