Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying some FMS C-springs for my car and how much do they drop the car in the front and back? I want to get the perfect stance for my car when I get cobra R's! Post pics to if you have them!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like mine

I have no probelms from mine but if I had to do it all over again I would go with some H&R springs or coilovers. They dropped mine at least an 1 1/2 inches in the front and probably an inch or more in the back. Mine sits almost perfectly level from front to rear but I had 1 coil cut from the rears. I will have some new pics by this weekend.
Jonathan

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I am thinking of the C springs as well. I would liek to see pics also.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have em, like its been told before, get a good set of shocks/struts.

·
Retired U.S. Air Force
1,695 Posts
I have them on my car but had to cut 1 coil from the rear when I was still 4 lug with ponies. I ran 17x9 4 lug cobra R's also and they rubbed on the fronts so I sold them. Now I have 5 lug 17x8's and I had to raise the front about 1/2 an inch because of rubbing while riding over bumps(normal city driving). I do like how they stiffened up the turning though. No more sway.
Check them out at my site.
Dave

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
I had the C's. HATED the way the car sat with the nose low stance. WOuld have cut the rear but i though it would be too low. Car rode like crap and did not match up with my tokicos. Took em out and put the stock springs back in.

Researching other brands as we speak!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have "C" springs. In the front I have 95 spindles and 17" wheels. Pics in my sig show the stance and clearances.

In the rear I have MM adjustable height control arms with H&R springs, so that won't help you there.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Here's a couple of my 'C'-springed '92GT. The 'C's do lower the front more than the advertised 7/8" - more like 1.5" or more....

Wade

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim89LXvert: What size tires do you have? I am getting 17X9 cobra R's so I dont want rubbing. I think all you guys with the pictures have the stance I'm looking for especially Tim89LXvert! I also am planning on getting MM adjustable lowers ;). Also when adding lowering springs do you have to do more than just put them in? I think I will also get good struts and shocks, what are a good brand for a good price? Thanks for all the help :joy:.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
1991 calypso:

I have the 'C' springs on my 89 GT. I have to say that they lower the car ALOT more than advertised and the front of my car was lowered about 2 inches. My front fenderlips sit dead even with the top of the tire. I think my car is the only one that sits like this. I have stock struts and some old monroe shocks. Sometime soon im going to be getting the koni yellows all the way around. Of course its going to be expensive, but you pay for what you get and im tired of feeling every little hole in the road. My plans right now are to get an extra set of energy suspension isolators and add them to the front with the ones that are already on there to see if I can regain alittle ride height.

I was thinking about getting the coil overs for the front, but ive heard a few things about them that has me wondering if they are what I need. If I can regain alittle height, make the ride quality better, then ill be happy. Just be warned that you will need a quality strut to hold up to the 650lb front spring rate.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
1991CALYPSO said:
Tim89LXvert: What size tires do you have? I am getting 17X9 cobra R's so I dont want rubbing. I think all you guys with the pictures have the stance I'm looking for especially Tim89LXvert! I also am planning on getting MM adjustable lowers ;). Also when adding lowering springs do you have to do more than just put them in? I think I will also get good struts and shocks, what are a good brand for a good price? Thanks for all the help :joy:.
Thanks for the compliments.

I am running 245/45/17 tires on 17X8" wheels. I had to roll the rear fender lip for clearance. I do have an occasional rub in the front with the wheels turned and the suspensions compressed (like going up a driveway). It is only hitting the plastic inner fender, so I am not concerned.

The MM adjustable lowers are a nice piece, you won't be disappointed. I am running them with HD Ford uppers, and they were great.

If you put in stiffer and shorter springs, you should upgrade the shocks and struts too. If you are on a budget KYBs might work (but maybe for not too long). If you can step up to some non-adjustable Tokico shocks/struts, I think you will be rewarded with a much better riding car.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
ttt

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
I used to use them

however I didn't like how it handled over the bumps and imperfections in the road, not to mention tire clearance. I wound up switching to the FMS M-5300B springs, which are progressive rate, not specific rate (like the fronts in the C-kit) and was rewarded with a much smoother ride with slightly better tire clearance. My crappy website has a pic of my car with the B's right after I swapped them in. High speed handling (above 120) isn't quite as crisp as the C's were, but it is a lot more forgivable during trips and around town.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Matt K
what is the link to your webpage? I would like to see the pics of the B springs.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
They do lower the car more then advertised, but I think thats a good thing. My car sits pretty good with them, actually maybe even alittle higher in the front. They have a harsh ride compared to stock, but handle pretty well. If you want traction these are the wrong springs, can't get any traction even with slicks at the track. I have some drag springs waiting to replace my "c"s. The "C" were a cheap quik fix for my sagging stang at the time.

Damn netsnapshot!!!

http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/6599/images/PIwzLcCoBQIAAEQCfE0_6599_5.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts