Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well did they fit ?? I know there only a $100.00 (Poor guy ,$100.00 = whole days pay :( )What size Header gasket ???
They guy told me that they are 1 5/8 ,But my catalog said that there 1 1/2 ...?What about the ones that PAW has for a $100.00 ???

·
Registered
619 Posts
Same ones as my flowtechs. Good headers IMO and I would buy them well before I would purchase a damn shorty header. I can install the by myself with a little over an hour worth of work. Mine have never leaked on me till just now ( have had them on and off 4 times in 1 year time. ) Its just 1 tube and can be fixed with the use of exhaust cement ( more like a HIGH temp RTV than anything else. ) The headers are an exact replica of the hooker long tube ( minus the actual flange where it bolts up ) and the primary tube on them is 1 5/8 dia.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Did they raise the price? They used to be (and in my current catalog) $80. The actual Flowtech listed headers are $100. The $80 Summit longtubes are just re-boxed Flowtechs.

I ran them for awhile until I couldn't stand the cooked starter anymore. Should have just went to the ministarter but went to P shorties instead. Good fit IMO. Probably the easiest to install longtube for the Fox platform. No jacking the motor or removing the steering shaft.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Personally I hate the slip-fits, they're nearly impossible to get to seal. For the most part they're decent, but they really didn't fit my car well. I had to dent in three primaries just to get bolts in the holes. I also had to bang up the #8 to get it to fit around the steering shaft. I'd much rather just go with some solid headers and jack up the engine. Do a search, I've talked in depth about these things before.

Billy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I don't know why you had so many problems billy, were your mounts shot? Running drop mounts? I had no problems with installing them on my brothers vert about 2 years ago, and when I put heads on it later there weren't any problems rebolting them on......and they still look decent and should be good for years to come. About the slip fits, use copper rtv in the slip fit joints, just glob it in there.....sealed up our leaks nicely.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
N2O88 said:
I don't know why you had so many problems billy, were your mounts shot? Running drop mounts? I had no problems with installing them on my brothers vert about 2 years ago, and when I put heads on it later there weren't any problems rebolting them on......and they still look decent and should be good for years to come. About the slip fits, use copper rtv in the slip fit joints, just glob it in there.....sealed up our leaks nicely.
My mounts were relatively new converitble mounts. Nothing odd about my steering shaft or anything. The wierdest thing was the H-pipe I got from summit to match the headers. The driver's side hanger was welded on facing the wrong way. It faced toward the back of the car. No way you could mount it like that. i returned it, they sent me another one just like it. No it wasn't the same one. Flowtech let the "special" kids do the welding that day...

Billy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summit long tubes ,here I come !!

Thanks every one ! I just need to make sure what I WAS getting.
I figured they'ed be re-boxed....And they are $80.00 ,I got them mixed up with the PAW ones,which I'd bet are the same ones,just $20.00 more.....:)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yeah, we went with the flow tech x pipe for that car, that is the biggest POS part I have ever seen sold by anyone, none of the joints would seal up....they were litterally loose so you could wobble it around. The welds were also pathetic. We ended up having it welded up in the slip fit areas to get it to work....but I would never buy that again or recommend it unless they have fixed them now.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am satisfied with my Summit long tubes and Flow-Tech off-road H. The H had the driver's side hanger welded on backwards so I cut it off and am only using the pass. side hanger. The H bolts to the header well. I am using the copper collector gaskets. I think I understand why someone might dent the tubes to install the header bolts. Some bolts, like the rear ones on the forward tubes can not be loosened if all the other bolts are tight. They must be screwed in first and removed last. Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts