Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my fan motor and was wondering if there are any differences between the two stores motors. I have done the recall but they wont replace my fan even though it has killed 3 alternators.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Call Steve at www.HoustonPerformance.com
ask about the Mark VIII fan.

It can use the stock plug & computer. Mine is installed without the stock plug due to fire at the stock fan wires.

The Mark VIII fan is not a drop-in fit fan, but I managed to put mine on (N/A) without trimming the fan shroud at all.
The Mark VIII fan is as good as you will find for the car.
http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get a motor from auto zone or Napa for about $50-60. If I remember right the mark VIII fan and shroud cost over$100, Right? I'm trying to do it as low cost as I can right now.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
bjl95mustang said:
I can get a motor from auto zone or Napa for about $50-60. If I remember right the mark VIII fan and shroud cost over$100, Right? I'm trying to do it as low cost as I can right now.
You have all of those other mods, why skimp $40 bux on a cheapo reman motor??

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price of the mark VIII fan is $150. I just found in on the fan mod website.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you want to buy a new fan motor which is fine. Then NAPA will be more expensive than autozone but their stuff is usually of a higher quality than what autozone sells. Just get a quote and the brand name from autozone and take it to NAPA and tell them to hook you up with a good deal because they can sell the motor for less but will try to pull every dime out of you. I once had a fuel pump relay go bad on me infront of a NAPA and the car died in the road. NAPA wanted $27 for the one that autozone wanted $11.50 for. I told them there was no way I would give over twice the competors price and as I walked out they told me they could let me have it at discount for $12 saved me $15.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
NAPA and autozone NOW carry the same part--regardless of the websites/ads. They both carry the Siemens brand. I just got a motor from NAPA and it's the Siemens. I was going to do the fan recall, but chickened out after hearing all the horror stories...

Now if you have enough space (i.e. no blower), get the 97-98 fan used (last I checked was 69$ from a junk yard). It has the best motor, but is 1/8" larger in depth. Also, the 96 V6 replacement motor that's available in most stores looks like it should fit in our fan shroud(hole spacing is the same), but I don't know exactly the specs of the motor and I'm not sure if the 3 pins match the same signals, etc... (though the connector wil fit).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got the siemens from autozone. Cost me 56.99 + tax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts