Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valvetrain getting a little noisy, and the lower end sounds bad at start up. I'm beginning to think my 15,000 mile shortblock may be on it's way out.

I pulled the breather off the valve cover, and with the engine at idle, puffs of white smoke come out in rythm with the engine.

Blowby????? what do you think? Will leakdown test engine next week, and pull plugs and read. What do I expect.

Motor still runs ok, but I am a few tenths off at the track.

The Idle is also getting a little funky, it sticks a little high when engine is warm.

Let the ideas rip.......Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
idle fixed

cleaned TB and egr areas and the idle seems to be fixed....but how about that smoke? White puffs out the oil fill tube. There is also a decent amount of oil coming out of the pcv valve and one of the valve in the smog system.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
mine smokes out the oil fill too....i have 115,000 miles. i think it is normal actually because my car runs fine and i keep going faster everytime i hit the track :joy:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

ttt

or tell me what title I should search for in the archives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can do you a favor and tell you that you don't want to know why my car was blowing white smoke out of my oil fill. But, I'll go ahead and tell you anyways. It was one of the pistons! Apparently the piston gave out in the ringlands and well some not-so-good things happened. But on the um, bright side one of your rings could have become some-what unseated. This is usually due to running synthetic oil on a new motor without running standard oil to break it in first. Hopefully your case will be something different than mine. Good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking, ok really hoping, it is just rings and not pistons etc.

Speculate with me here......

If it is just rings, do I just buy rings and gaskets to put the engine back together? Are we probably talking some serious machine work? I think the engine is already a 306, when Forte's built the engine 15,000 miles ago (Laferriere) was the Mechanic at Forte's at the time, I belive they had to have the block done 30 over because they had the 30 over pistons not the stock size. I'll have to ask Eric L. If he comes on line.

Basically what I am getting at is will I be able to use the block, rods, crank, and pistons again if I do need rings?

Part of me is really hoping that the lower end tests out fine (leakdown), and the heads just need new valve guides or something.......They are trick flow TW heads, which have a bad history for valve train reliability.

·
Registered
436 Posts
White smoke to me means steam. If there is water in your oil, it will vaporize when it gets hot.

Drain your oil and check it for presence of water (coolant). Before that, your dipstick can tell you if there is excessive water in there, it will have chocolate milk shake looking goo on it. It's the coolant and oil mixing.

May not mean a blown headgasket as it could be the lower intake gasket weeping water into the lifter valley.

Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts