Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in a couple other recent threads, I'm looking very hard at buying a twin turbo 1991 LX Hatch. One thing is bothering me, though. I asked the owner what turbos it has and he said that it was "a prototype system." He said that everything on it was the same as the 800 system except for the turbos themselves. So, I asked him which turbos were on it, and he could not give me an answer. He said that he didn't know but also said that the housing was smaller and the impeller was more aggressive. I know that he's boosting 9psi (10 psi before the intercooler). He said that the smaller turbo was nice because it was easier to work around in the engine bay. He called this system a "700 hp system." Have any of you heard of anything like this? If not, how can I tell which turbos he's got?

Thanks,

Chris

·
4,311 Posts
It more than likely is the 800TTI kit with the smaller AR turbos. Does the car have a notched passenger side frame rail? That would be the best way to tell if it is a 800TTI kit since it has to be notched for that kit.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the turbos are smaller, does that mean that they're not as good?

Would they still be able to handle the 347 stroker in the future?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

·
Registered
215 Posts
Look to see if the compressor housings have snap rings holding them on or if they have a backing plate and bolts holding them on.
The ones with the backing plates will be the 800tti turbos and the ones with the snap rings will be the 600tti/ls1 kit turbos.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The 800 kit with the normal turbos used "GTBB3035" garretts.

There are also a few 1000TT kits floating around that used the larger GTBB3037 (or something like that) and had billet wastegate actuators and extrude honed manifolds.

The 600 kit is rare and I believe stanggod has this covered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts