Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, other than the cost, which would you build for a street/strip daily driver?..would you build a boss blocked forged 347 setup with t-trim?, or would you go with a 1974 blocked forged 392 n/a setup? any advice appreciated, let me know what you got out of your blown, or n/a combos.thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
Not that the '47 combo and the blower don't sound appealing but I would go for the naturally aspirated 392 just for simplicity sake. Just be sure if you go the route of the larger motor that you have the supporting pieces for it to perform to it's best potential, by this I mean, don't go slapping a 65mm t-body on it or a gt-40 intake and wonder why it's wheezing up in the power-band, also you might need to address the fuel system with either setup.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I'd say the blown 347 and T rim would have way better potential at making big power over a N/A stroker windsor. The windsor coudl make huge power but I don't think it'd be suitable for daily use.

Howe much power do you want to make? The question is a little vague to make an accurate suggestion. 400rwhp? 500rwhp? 600rwhp? More?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I only have a little 302, but there is a member of our club with a big 39X.

He made 488RWHP and 500RW tq. The max torque was @ 3900 RPM! Anyway, as I have driven the car, I can tell you torque is addictive. The car pulls like no other. He has a Tremec, I would go with a C4 or AOD, but...

Anyhow I think TC has a great point..how much HP do you want to make?

Ian

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

thanks for the replies, sorry about not making my question clearer, the big problem here, is DAILY DRIVER, i would love for the car to make 600 rwhp, which i've heard of a couple of boss blocked 347 with t-trims making in excess of 600 rwhp..and being driven everyday, was even told one of them was pulling down 20-22 mpg on the highway..have not seen it in person though..i live in se texas where it is hot all the time, and need to be able to drive the car in heavy traffic in the summer with a/c and not worry about cooling issues, and still get decent fuel mileage which i'm not sure if i would have with the 392 setup..i have a '74 block with cast steel crank, h beam rods with wiesco flat top's, xe 282, aluminum tfs high ports,tfs intake,80 mm t/b,36 lb inj's,and 110 pro-m..with paxton rails,paxton regulator,-8 feed,-6 return,paxton blue pump, and sump in tank..still need to get headers.. i've come accross a killer deal from a friend who wants to sell this 347 setup now cheap, 4340 scat forged steel crank,h beam rods, and wiesco pistons, that are for my tfs high ports, and will make around 8.8 with the 69 cc chambers..i could use the 282 cam,the heads,and a ported and welded cobra intake that have,with a 75 mm t/b the same 110 pro-m, some 42 lb inj's that i have with a good cartech adj. fmu and the same fuel system with my t-trim i also allready have some coated 1 3/4 full length rci headers with 3" collectors, that i can hook up with my x pipe and 3" exhaust..as you can see, choices,choices..keep the info coming everyone ,thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
why not go with a 392, with a t-trim??

seems like it would make an ungodly amount of power..

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it would

oh, i'm sure the 392 with a t-trim would make tons of power, but i would definitely have to go with a custom dished piston to try and get the comp ratio down, and then get the assembly balanced again, etc..plus i would have to run some BIG inj's probably 72-86's to keep it safe..that's just too much for me, and gas mileage would be zip..sure would be nice for a weekend toy though

·
Registered
438 Posts
It all depends on your goals. Do you really need that much power? (dumb question, huh?)
I didn't need that much power so I went with a fully balanced & blueprinted NA 347 at 10.5 compression and all the goodies. It only cranks a little over 400 horses but is all I need for a daily driver. It is lots of fun, handles great, requires no maintenance, uses no oil, idles fines, etc. It runs nice and cool even in 100° weather, but with a blower it would probably overheat.

I prefer NA over blowers on the street because there are fewer parts to break, they run cooler, and they have instant throttle response.

Any engine can be made reliable enough for daily duty if you design and build it correctly, take care of it and don't drive it too hard. But the more horses, the more money. I would let your budget help you decide. Price both motors from start to finish and see where the dollars lie. When you plan things out be sure to consider cooling systems, suspension, brakes, etc. The larger motors will take more cooling, stiffer suspensions, etc. but the prices for the parts may end up being the same. Also track both motors for performance, handling, etc. Remember the heavier motors will kill some of your handling.

After you do your homework, if the two are the same, then you can merely flip a coin or take the one with the most power. I'll bet the NA with more cubes will win, but the 347 with blower would be a hard combo to beat.

Lastly, be honest about needing that much power. The problem with daily drivers is you need tires that can handle rain, etc. and that means a big motor is a waste because it simply spins the tires.

I went through all of the above and settled on the NA 347 with slightly better suspension, street tires, etc. as the best 'overall' option. You gotta love hard decisions like this. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I had a stock bottom end 302 with an Strim. Basic bolt on parts. It ran my sig numbers and diled well and was my daily driver in the same form for close to 2 years. Once I went into the rollbar and the drag suspension I retired it to weekend use. On long hauls 20+mpg was easily reached. Now that's been replaced with a 408, everything is bigger and should make better power than the blown 302 but after firing it up for the first time last week there is no way in hell I'd want to drive it daily. Big and brutish solid cam, huge exhaust and a thirsty Holley sitting up top. I'm hoping I can get 8-10mpg with it...hoping.

For a daily driven set-up with comparable HP numbers the blown motor can be relatively mild and street friendly, but be a real animal when boost builds. The big motor the power will be ther all the time but depending on how it's built could be not as street friendly.

One of the local engine builders (Chevy gy) said it was impossible to drive a 10 second car to the track, then back home. I proved him wrong. Then we compared mileage. 20mpg from mine that was 1 full second faster than his Camaro which had a mild 383 getting 10mpg and was trailered in.

Mild motor with boost would be my choice in a daily driver. A rowdy windsor stroker would be kick ass in a weekend toy.

So I've been on both sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts