Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 351c 2v and i am replacing the rear end. i am not sure what rear to get to match up to the 351 rpm range. i am probally going to get 245/60/14 tires all around, which gear ratio would be best to match with these tires and motor? 3.55, 3.80, 4.11? would there be a better size tire to get?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
It will depend on what you are doing with the car. If it is a drag car, then you will need to caculate the speed of car through the traps with tire size so you will be in 4th gear at red line at the line.
If it is a street car it is more of how much gear you want and does gas mileage play any part of the final decision.
With that said, with the 14" short tires, I would say 3.73's would be a good all around gear for the street with maybe a few trips to the strip that still has some gas mileage that is not in the towlet, a must if you have OD. If you don't want to be that aggressive, then the 3.55's & get a little more gas mileage. Most of the 60's era cars came with 3.0 or lower of 2.79. The 3.73 or 3.55 would be a good kick in the pants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the other post, but would add that I have been restoring first generation mustangs for the last 15 years and have found that a 225/60R14 is about the widest you can go on a first gen without rubbing. The 69 to 73 do offer a bit more room but not without changing some front suspension components. You can't fight gravity after 30 plus years. A 245/60R14 will not fit up front without installing the Shelby balljoint offset or racing camber kit. If you're not planning on installing it the sidewall of the tire will rub on the spindle. 245's will fit on the back of 67 up but you will have to have the correct back spacing and roll the lip a bit. If you have original springs you will have to roll the lip a lot. If you are planning on your car being a daily driver and do not have a 4 speed or AOD even the 355's may get on your nerves after a while. It all depends on what you plan on doing the most with your car. If you want real professional advice you can contact Perogie Enterprises at www.perogie.com or 609-448-1684. I deal exclusively with them for all Ford Rears and Center Sections. Their prices are reasonable too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts