Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my plans are to install a T5 in a 68 mustang with a 302 and from what I read there is going to be an issue with the cluch cable touching the LT header tubes and burning the cable casing.

there are literly tons of styles of LT headers out there, read somewhere that people have used some type of 351w LT's with some success. what headers are going to give me the most clearence possible? what are my options?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm using regular Hoker Comps for a 289-302. My cable is a homemade set up using a Fox cable so I don't know how that will compare to aftermarket set ups.I just ran the cable through where the primary tubes seperate for the factory z-bar.I use a small bracket,bolted to the steering box,to hold the cable away from the headers.I also wrapped the cable with heat protective tape.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using regular Hoker Comps for a 289-302. My cable is a homemade set up using a Fox cable so I don't know how that will compare to aftermarket set ups.I just ran the cable through where the primary tubes seperate for the factory z-bar.I use a small bracket,bolted to the steering box,to hold the cable away from the headers.I also wrapped the cable with heat protective tape.

yeah my plans are to use a fox cable too because I dont want to pay out the a$$ for a mail order specialty clutch cable. how long have you been running this setup and did you have to ding any of the tubes for extra clearence?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i used mustang steve kit on my '66 coupe and hedman header stock motor mount don't work with the cable (cable lay on top of the mount) switch to ron morris adj. mount(cable under mount..bearly) work okay but still have issue cable touching header at the shock thower area.wrapped header and clutch with header wrap it should be fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
yeah my plans are to use a fox cable too because I dont want to pay out the a$$ for a mail order specialty clutch cable. how long have you been running this setup and did you have to ding any of the tubes for extra clearence?
9 years/15k miles. No dinging the headers except to clear the blowproof bell( nothing related to the cable system).

·
Registered
644 Posts
can't vouch for what will work, but i used a modern driveline cable with hooker ceramic coated comp headers and melted the cable... even though i wrapped it with insulation and clamped it away from the header...

got a hydraulic clutch and haven't looked back...

·
Registered
300 Posts
ok thats a blowproof type bell on your T5, does that bell use an extended clutch fork?
Yes.I originally had a Lakewood,now a Mcleod,and both needed an extended fork.I just spliced two factory forks together.
The cable system also worked fine with a stock bellsousing in case you're wondering.

·
Registered
315 Posts
After all these years of the T-5 transmission and virtually NOBODY makes a good product to solve this problem. I have several sets of headers, all new, that don't fit the cable style clutch. My car has the Modern Driveline setup.

I finally forked out real cash for a set of JBA stainless longtubes to find they hit the pitman arm severely. Big modifications were in order to get the steering to clear, and it still hits slightly. The cable will clear now after I fabricate a bracket.

It amazes me the guys who design the cable clutch conversions actually think someone who buys thier product uses stock style exhaust manifolds. What idiots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just finished paying for this swap myself. One the biggest headaches was the header tube.
My shops solution was to cut and re-weld the tube that was in the way. I tried to attach a picture, but I don't have enough posts yet.

Bigger headaches were the time it took to mount the Mustang Steve pedal assy, and NOT balancing the new flywheel while the car was apart.
Now, I have to wait to get some more money, to pull the trans and get the new fly wheel balanced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also used Hedman headers with the modern driveline clutch cable and had to
cut one tube and re-weld it to clear. Works great now and I don't even have to wrap the cable with heat sleeve.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would suggest a hydraulic setup...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Who makes a good setup thats not 1,000 dollars in parts to put together?

How finicky are they to adjust?

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problem! I just think that a hydraulic setup is much cleaner and out of the way when compared to the cable, and you can run whatever you want for an exhaust setup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem! I just think that a hydraulic setup is much cleaner and out of the way when compared to the cable, and you can run whatever you want for an exhaust setup.
wow that hydraulic setup is definitely within my budget, real good write up.
now im glad that weather postponed my project, was just about to hack up my project's pedal setup to install a fox style clutch cable. :salute:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts