Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,499 Posts
MSD has outsourced their products which has resulted in poor life expectancy and in general poor quality.
that's not the problem...

msd has been experiencing a massive counterfeit problem for at least 15 years. and majority of people don't think twice about the supply chain but rather focus purely on getting it for the bottom dollar, which 80% of the time means amazon and ebay, which are two of the largest sources for counterfeit products. and not just msd products.

there's also LOTS of info online on how to identify a real vs counterfeit product(s), but again blame msd and not the consumer.

and lastly, there are LOTS of people who don't read instructions, and do s**ty installations, but again blame msd and not the consumer.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

msd has been experiencing a massive counterfeit problem for at least 15 years. and majority of people don't think twice about the supply chain but rather focus purely on getting it for the bottom dollar, which 80% of the time means amazon and ebay, which are two of the largest sources for counterfeit products. and not just msd products.

there's also LOTS of info online on how to identify a real vs counterfeit product(s), but again blame msd and not the consumer.

and lastly, there are LOTS of people who don't read instructions, and do s**ty installations, but again blame msd and not the consumer.
X2 to all the above. There has been articles in almost all the major magazines (and on line) covering the counterfeit problem.
There are also multiple videos on YouTube covering the huge problem of counterfeit parts through Amazon.

HOWEVER...I did buy an MSD distributor several years ago from Summit. The TFI module was a piece of dog dung. I verified this by swapping the factory distributor back in (ran great), and then installed the MSD with the old module (ran great), and finally the factory distributor with the MSD TFI (ran VERY poorly). I called MSD, they sent me a replacement module...which was still crap.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
X2 to all the above. There has been articles in almost all the major magazines (and on line) covering the counterfeit problem.
There are also multiple videos on YouTube covering the huge problem of counterfeit parts through Amazon.

HOWEVER...I did buy an MSD distributor several years ago from Summit. The TFI module was a piece of dog dung. I verified this by swapping the factory distributor back in (ran great), and then installed the MSD with the old module (ran great), and finally the factory distributor with the MSD TFI (ran VERY poorly). I called MSD, they sent me a replacement module...which was still crap.
Which begs the question of why you bought the MSD distributor when the factory distributor caused your engine to run great. :unsure:
Sorry...I had to ask. Lol.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have a msd street ignition for sale. Works great no 2 step but it has a rev limiter
Thanks for the offer. I'm trying out a friend's 6AL currently.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Guilty as charged! I bought fake Siemen Deka 80's from Amazon. The best of tuners swore they were authentic when I sent out pictures via multiple emails. When I finally had them tested locally; they were good for 60 or less and there was a huge variance between individual injectors. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I even still have my first aftermarket distributor, a vacuum advance Unilite. I didn't have it in my Cleveland long before buying my next car and had to sell the old one. I swapped the old distributor back, that Mallory was $175 back then and took weeks to get. I hope it's worthy of 6500rpm, that's what I plan to use it for, with the Hyfire IV and that big Mallory coil.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know it's not a v8 but I ran 21 lbs of boost on my old 2.3 setup with stock ignition parts but no issues, I had an msd street fire coil which is the poor man version and an advance part store cap with copper contacts and never had a problem, ran ngk tr6 plugs gapped at 25. Stock tfi distributor and a megasquirt ecm.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I know it's not a v8 but I ran 21 lbs of boost on my old 2.3 setup with stock ignition parts but no issues, I had an msd street fire coil which is the poor man version and an advance part store cap with copper contacts and never had a problem, ran ngk tr6 plugs gapped at 25. Stock tfi distributor and a megasquirt ecm.
Yup. It seems some cars get away with the stock ignition and others don't. I narrowed gaps in stages and went as low as .018. No bueno. A local turbo expert told me that he sees this quite often. He finds that the turbos that come on quick and hard blow the spark out more than a slower spooling turbo. Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just an update. The older style MSD 6AL cured the spark blowout. Plugs are gapped at .030.

Reactions: pkstang
41 - 53 of 53 Posts