Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Are you sure you need one? In general they aren't needed. I don't use one, i just gap my plugs down.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
On the dyno I ran 14psl, no problems. It's fully spooled by 3500 on the dyno, .023 gap, ngk plugs, taylor 10mm wires, accel coil, older msd cap standard motor products rotor. What cap and rotor are you using? The new MSD stuff is very often problematic.

Msd 6al or 6al2 are probably ther most commonly used cdi boxes but i try not to recommend anything from "My Spark Dissapeared", their quality has gone down hill.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Plugs are NGK BKR7ES-11. Wires are DUI Livewires.
Found this:
i thought more fuel typically means it's easier to blow out spark because the resistance in the cylinder is higher making it harder to jump the strap, less fuel is easier to ignite but maybe I'm wrong. I use BRK7E which is the vpower version. I could probably get away with 6s though. I doubt it's the plugs. I don't have any experience with that cdi but i have a hard time believing it can do multiple spark all the way to redline.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I might agree but we aren't talking a large fueling difference. I went from 10.80 to 11.5.
My point was less fuel shouldn't cause more ignition blow out/break up. I think you have something else going on. I'll have to think about it but i would probably do a voltage drop test to see if there are any ground issues.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Voltage drop tests, test the entire power circuit. It's not specific to the coil. I would recommend watching some YouTube videos to get an understanding of it. If you have a ground issue, the spark has a hard time completing the circuit which could be where your problem is coming from. There are so many people who run stock ignition without a CDI which is why I'm suspecting something else.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Showing a good ground with no load means nothing. It's when there is a load on the system it matters. 53k miles but it's still 25+ years old. I've seen plenty of voltage drop issues over the years. Low mileage or high mileage makes no difference. All it takes is one bad connection, one corroded wire, one poorly contacting wire to cause issues. It's your call but it's a free test. Why not check? You have nothing to lose.

Oh yeah. My car when i got it had been through multiple people all having odd issues with it never running right for years. It was a voltage drop issue that was the cause of all the problems.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
If you need help understanding a voltage drop test. I am more than happy to take it to PM's if you need a thorough explination. Electrical is probably my strongest skill set. I've been doing electrical work and troubleshooting for 20+ years for multiple performance shops and random people over the years.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
That's just the thing. The older boxes seem to be fine. The problems seem to be with the new Chinese made boxes.
True. MSD has outsourced their products which has resulted in poor life expectancy and in general poor quality. I do have a 6al2 in my car from about 10 years ago for the 2 step feature but its not plugged in and I just use the stock ignition plug until i take it to the track. It was also dyno'd without the CDI plugged in. I have the OEM and MSD coil plugs at the coil so I just unplug one and plug the other in. 99% of the time my car uses the stock ignition with no CDI. I also replied to your PM (y)

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Had a msd 6a box back in the 80s. JUNK

Bought a Crane HI6 box with matching coil 32 years ago. Still going strong today. 7200rpm and 30lbs of boost. Never a hiccup.
Ive heard the Crane Hi6 boxes were pretty good. I just have never used one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts