Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im looking to get fuel rails and im stuck on which i should buy. i was going to get aeromotive rails but then i heard something about how they interfear with the distributor and you actually have to grind and mess with them so they fit!!!! is this really an issue?? so, i noticed Mallory has fuel rails now for fox bodies and they claim" it dosnt require grinding to fit like other popular rails, and they support 2000 horspower." they are in summit, or what about PRO-M's fuel rails. what do you guys use???? need some help. its going on a edelbrock performer RPM. thanks

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
When I decide to really upgrade my fuel system, I will be going with the Aeromotive kit.

I have 3 members that use their complete kits, including the rails, and the install was easy as pie. I know one guy who has a 396 with a Victor 5.0 intake, he had to add a spacer to the intake so the rails would fit. I have not personally seen any people grinding to make them fit.

Ian

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have the aeromotive kit, not complaints about the install, ot rubbing. My only complaint with it is adjusting the AFPR. This function is hard at best. Just tie a string on the wrench! :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've got Vortech fuel rails, have had no problems with them fitting a GT40 lower. When I changed to a Edel performer RPM, I had to grind the mainfold in the center on both sides,as it was hitting the rail. I only had to take off about a 1/16". Have had no problems with them hitting the distributor on both a stock and a MSD dist. I saw some rails the other day at Grantelli Motorsports that had a kickout near the dist. that would allow you to put the return line in the end of the rail instead of the center on the left side. I don't know who makes them, but they looked pretty nice.

My system feeds from a -8 Y fitting to the rear of the lines, and returns via the front on the right, and the center fitting on the left.
the return lines, (-6) go to the reg.

I use an Aeromotive fuel pressure reg, and mounted it near the right side shock tower. It is easy to get to and stays alot cooler than one mounted on the rail on top of the motor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys. im new to doing a whole fuel system and plumbing such a project. so, i was at WFC5 and talked to the Aeromotive guy about plumbing the fuel system. seems like everyone mentions running their return lines off the front of one of the fuel rails, and the aeromotive guy suggested this: 10 AN from the pump to the y block, 8AN from the y block to the back side of each fuel rail, then 8AN out of the front of both fuel rails to the AFPR, and 6AN return line from the bottom of the regulator. why is this the first time ive hear this setup??? have yet to hear anyone say they plumbed theirs this way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You don't need -8 on the return side, to the regulator, -6 is plenty big enough.

·
Registered
816 Posts
nutty90 said:
thanks for the input guys. im new to doing a whole fuel system and plumbing such a project. so, i was at WFC5 and talked to the Aeromotive guy about plumbing the fuel system. seems like everyone mentions running their return lines off the front of one of the fuel rails, and the aeromotive guy suggested this: 10 AN from the pump to the y block, 8AN from the y block to the back side of each fuel rail, then 8AN out of the front of both fuel rails to the AFPR, and 6AN return line from the bottom of the regulator. why is this the first time ive hear this setup??? have yet to hear anyone say they plumbed theirs this way.
I recommend you use the Pro-M rails. IMO they have a better design and easily allow the return to be taken from the front of the drivers side rail. This is not possible with the Aeromotive rails. The driver's side return has to be run from the middle of the rail. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just installed the aeromotive rails, regulator, Y block etc. Fit was fine, no grinding. I installed the system just like aeromotive suggests except I used -8 supply to the Y, -6 to the rails and to the reg, back to the tank. -8 is Huge compared to the stock lines, I figure it has to be adequate for my use.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i have the polished pro-m rails, they are the ones that kick out...
they fit "perfect" after grinding and making my own brackets. But i got a prototype version, so they fixed all these problems.

Aftermarket fuel rails werent a bolt on for me, more like a challenge. Maybe its because im using the holley intake?

I was gonna use aeromotive rails at first, but they hit the distributor too much, again- maybe its just with the holley intake. But even grinding the distributor down didnt help anything. i also didnt like the idea of running the fuel line from the middle of the rail.
my setup is : sumped factory tank, -10 to the pump, -8 to y-block, feeding the rear of the rails, -8 to regulator, and -6 return.

i also took the red/blue finish off my fittings and polished them out. gonna look killer when i put my motor together
-nate

·
Registered
816 Posts
gmsux said:
I just installed the aeromotive rails, regulator, Y block etc. Fit was fine, no grinding. I installed the system just like aeromotive suggests except I used -8 supply to the Y, -6 to the rails and to the reg, back to the tank. -8 is Huge compared to the stock lines, I figure it has to be adequate for my use.

Maybe the intke you have is different but the Aeromotive rail on the driver's side ran right into the distributor. There was absolutely no way to get a fitting on the end of the rail. Are you using a stock distributor?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Michael Johnson said:

Maybe the intke you have is different but the Aeromotive rail on the driver's side ran right into the distributor. There was absolutely no way to get a fitting on the end of the rail. Are you using a stock distributor?

Using an accel billettech dist. same as stock..... but....Im running a 351W... wider motor than a 302. I can see where on a 302 the rails I use could hit the dist. The rails are massive, 1/2" ID I think.

·
Registered
816 Posts
gmsux said:
Using an accel billettech dist. same as stock..... but....Im running a 351W... wider motor than a 302. I can see where on a 302 the rails I use could hit the dist. The rails are massive, 1/2" ID I think.
That explains it. On a 302 there isn't a fitting made that I could use to connect at the end of the rail. In fact, there's probably less than an 1/8" clearance between the rail and distributor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gmsux, i noticed you use an electric water pump. how long have you had it??? many miles/hours on it??? im leaning towards a meziere. thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd guess I've got less than 8 hours on the CSI pump. It works very well for what I do with the car. I thought about getting the meziere but all the fords I'm around have the csi so I was more familiar with how to set it up and I knew it would work well so I got the csi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.