Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Fuel Pump?

Hey all, first time poster. Awesome Board!

I need advice, fuel pump went up in my 90 LX 5.0 Notch. Currently has off-road H-pipe (no cats), K&N cone, Accel ignition. I'm looking to do more mods in the future (money permitting) but for right now I want to know whats the best brand and the best flow rate to go with inorder to meet the more or less stock needs of the engine now, but also allow me to do the mods later without having to change the pump again. The mods I'm planning on adding are an Procharger system including new injectors and larger throttle body. What pump do you guys recommend.

Also, any tips/tricks when replacing the pump?

Thanks much.... Nate

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am currently in the What fuel pump is best for me club. The responses I've gotten was go with the 255lph pump. This should give you plenty of room to grow. As far as I understand Walbro makes almost all of the intank fuel pumps. I'm planning on getting one from http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?incatuid=99&fcmd=cat So far they have the best prices I've seen yet.

Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
As the above post says, definately purchase from JDs. Best prices by far. I just installed a 255 in my buddy's notch this weekend. Pretty easy. I'd say go with a 190 unless you have some major plans in order. A 255 would be OK but unnecessary right now. Walbro is the brand which JDs sells and they are the ones who manufacture the stock unit (at least the one I removed). My friend ordered the Summit brand and it was the Walbro package in a Summit labeled box.

Tips-
Make sure your tank is almost empty.
Use a floor jack to help you lower the tank after its unstrapped.
You'll have to remove the filler neck from the tank which requires removing some screws that hold it secure in various locations.
The pump is located on the side w/ the filler neck with the two feul lines coming out of it (obvious fact but whatever helps).

Have fun and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and tips. I checked JD's and I'm definitely buying from them!

I ran across a site with pump info yesterday that was helpful. http://www.vfaq.com/pump-Walbros.html

I'm leaning towards the 190 for now since 255 would be overkill until I do more mods. I'm going to get a Kirban adjustable fuel reg too.

Thanks again, glad to be a part of the board. Amazing how much knowledge and tech info all you guys bring to it.... much appreciated.

Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts