Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to put DR's on the car. Should I put on Nitto's or BFG's?
Had settled on Nitto's but am hearing good things about BFG's. The car is a daily driver.
Also, with mod's listed, will UCA and LCA's help and about how much. I have had 1.9+ 60ft times on my street tires but can't seem to break out of the13.4-13.5 ET's. Seems like it should be better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Drag radials, like everything else in life, are a compromise. Nitto's last longer but BFG's hook better. I chose BFG because I just bolt them on when I go to the track. If you're going to leave them on all the time go with Nitto's.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've never run the BF's before, but I have had Nittos on my car for the past couple of years. I've averaged about 7,000 miles on a set. It doesn't bother me that much really (cost wise) driving on drag radials every day as my car is only driven about 7,000 miles a year. Once you've driven drag radials on the street, you'll probably never want to go back to street tires. :)

BTW, if you are already cutting 1.9 short times on street tires, you probably have a pretty good feel for your car. I'd guess with the drag radials, you'd see your low 13 second pass.

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing....I have a 2002 GT that's stock for now, but by the time I get the DR's, i'll probably have gears, UDP's, and maybe a thing or two more...My car is a daily driver as well....are Nitto's pretty much the ones to go with? or are there somebody else out there better than those 2?

Kevin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nittos rule!!!

I have gone over a 100 in the rain and they stick like glue:barf:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ttt

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with above. If your going to drive on them everyday, then go with the Nitto's, they'll last longer. But I've used both and I still prefer to use the BFG's on the street. They hook way better. And they're right. Drive them on the street and you'll never go back to street tires. I usually drop my 275x50x15 BFG's down to 14lbs and dump the car at 4500rpm. Hooks like a mother. Still not as good as my slicks though!!

Dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
BeastlYellow02GT said:
Just curious...i've been seeing a lot of "ttt"....what does that stand for?
TTT = To The Top (of the page)

I am looking for a set of DR's for my stocks. What is a good size for the stock 17 x 8 wheels?

Would 275/40/17 work well? Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
AZBlackBullitt said:
I agree with above. If your going to drive on them everyday, then go with the Nitto's, they'll last longer. But I've used both and I still prefer to use the BFG's on the street. They hook way better. And they're right. Drive them on the street and you'll never go back to street tires. I usually drop my 275x50x15 BFG's down to 14lbs and dump the car at 4500rpm. Hooks like a mother. Still not as good as my slicks though!!

Dave
Nice oil pan. Where's the one I bought from you 2 months ago?

·
Registered
234 Posts
GAME said:

TTT = To The Top (of the page)

I am looking for a set of DR's for my stocks. What is a good size for the stock 17 x 8 wheels?

Would 275/40/17 work well? Thanks.
The Nitto 275/40/17sfit fine on the 17x8s.

·
Registered
577 Posts
So Nitto 555R Extreme Drag Radials 275/50/17 will fit nicely on stock 17x8's?

I would like to get some soon!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. A lot of you like the Nitto's. Longevity is not an issue. If I have to replace the tires every 8 to 12 months, it's no big deal. I want the tire that will hook the best and it seems some of you think the BFG is it. What ever tire I put on must be acceptable in wet conditions since we get daily showers here in the Sunshine State from May til October. Any more opinions?

·
Registered
570 Posts
G98Cobra said:
So Nitto 555R Extreme Drag Radials 275/50/17 will fit nicely on stock 17x8's?
If you meant 275/40/17, yes. :) From what I have read they are a little smaller than other brands of tires, so that size fits well enough.
What ever tire I put on must be acceptable in wet conditions...
The BFG's will probably be acceptable when new (no actual experience with them). As they wear you should be very careful, like with any tire. Again, I have no experience with the BFG's (I have Nittos), but I've read more than one story about people spinning out in the rain with them after the tires had some mileage on them. I think my Nittos have been pretty good the few times I have driven in the rain. I don't know much. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
96MC said:
If you meant 275/40/17, yes. :) From what I have read they are a little smaller than other brands of tires, so that size fits well enough.
Here is a pic of them on my stock 17x8s, there is more of a bulge than the stock 245/45/17s had, but I like the look:

Sorry it's not more of a closeup, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ooops yea, meant 275/40/17!

Nice ride man! I might have to get me some!

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
I absolutely postively would NOT use BFG DR's on a daily driver, unless you do not plan to drive in the rain, and you don't mind changing tires every 3000-8000 miles.

I have a brand new set of Nitto 275/50/15's sitting on my brand new 15x8 Pro Stars getting ready to go on my Cobra. They'll be my daily tires. Just waiting for my Baer Serious Street brakes to show up so I can put my 15x6 Pro Stars on the front. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. You know we alll value your opinion, especially me.. Nitto's are going on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts