Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody....just wanted to see what size tool sets everyone out there has bought before. I found a 155 piece set with all of the sockets and ratchets I think I would need but wanted to ask everybody how many pieces they thought you need in a set to do some suspension and exhaust work. I don't do anything else other than that. Do you think the 155 piece would be big enough or should I wait and get a bigger one? Keep in mind...my budget is small and I found a good set for a good price. Thanks for your help!

Nate

·
Registered
524 Posts
You don't choose, Sears chooses what tool set you can get. Sears always has sales on various tool boxes and usually a sale priced set is cheaper than a smaller non-sale priced set. Your best bet is just to go in and see what they have.

A 155 set should have just about everything you need. Maybe later you'll need to add an extension, elbow, or a torx bit, but that's no big deal. BTW, good choice dealing with Sears...there stuff has been totally reliable for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That set should be fine to build on. I've got the 275 piece set, but I've bought many bits and pieces here and there. Do you happen to know any of the techs at Sears? I got my stuff rediculously cheap (anywhere from 25 - 65% off.) I've got a "friend" who used to work there and if you're patient you can get stuff on sale, then stack all kinds of discounts on top of an employee discount plus a backshop discount. I think I spent more on tools than I actually made there. Oh well, good stuff though. That set should be a good starter, just be ready to buy specialty tools as the job requires.
Ken

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeah, the basic sets aren't to bad, get 2, and a good tool box(trust me craftsmen's cheap boxes SUX, a good tool box should last you 40 years and cost 500-1000+$$) and then _organize_ it. And then the specialty tools .... those are fun. But i'm a tool nut and my wife thinks i have to many.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1999yellowGT said:
But i'm a tool nut and my wife thinks i have to many.
Yours too? I've tried telling her that when you need the tool is not the time to go out and buy it. She'll never understand. As far as a box, I agree, spend the money on something good. I've actually got a Craftsman, it's not bad. Just make sure to get one w/ ball bearing slides.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would say that 90% of our tools are craftman. Multiple sets are generally a must!:D You can never have too many tools!:D

As the others have already stated, when you look at the boxes, buy one of the better ones. It will save you money in the long run. Also, buy a box that is a little bigger than you think you will need. One more thing, definately get ball-bearing drawers! The cheap sliders have a tendancy to fall apart rather quickly, plus the ball-bearing sliders will take a little more weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts