Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put in a cam. Have been cruising over the forums and it seems to be a toss up between the Crane 2031 or Steeda #19. I have 1.7's that I want to use with the cam. Most everyone seems to think these are both good for our computers(friendly). Need some feedback for those running one of the above. I really want to install and hope the hell I dont have to chip my stock (untouched computer). Car is running beautiful now. I know the idle may be a tad rough but was hoping liveable with no surging problem. What do you think??? I have GT40Y heads with a killer valve job from Chapman Racing which say its fine with any cam I could possibly put in the thing(killer springs!). An ideal condition would be to gain about .2 at the track and not have to touch my computer. Think so??;) BTW, no blower or nitrous, staying NA! Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Either one will work. I love my 2031. Do a search for those cams and you'll get all the feedback you need.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
texsn95 said:
Either one will work. I love my 2031. Do a search for those cams and you'll get all the feedback you need.
Before I installed my 2031 last weekend, I searched through the Windsor forum. You will find MUCH more info there than in here in the 94/95 Tech.

But anyway, I love my 2031. It purrs like a kitten (well, more like it roars like a lion....).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was concerned with the 94/95 computer and from what I understand "the lobe separation" to run with it. Thats why I didnt post on the Windsor forum. Do you guys think the cam(either one) is worth .2 et or lets say 20 more HP in my set up?? Thanks for the input and keep it coming. BTW, "texan", are you running street skins with that time and 3.08's? If you are, you might be flirting with high 12's with slicks and gears! Anaconda, how do you like your Pro 77maf?? Do you have a cold air set up to it or just the cone filter in front of it? You planning a blower with those big injectors? ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
DZAHER...Have you tried "NOT" doing the 3 to 2 shift? I bet you will get that 2 tenths you are looking for.
:D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist, payback for the peacock thing.

;)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
DZAHER said:
Anaconda, how do you like your Pro 77maf?? Do you have a cold air set up to it or just the cone filter in front of it? You planning a blower with those big injectors? ;)
The Pro 77mm MAF is a quality piece. Since I installed it at the same time as the heads/cam/CAI, I don't know what kind of gains I got.

Yeah I have a Mac Cold Air Intake attached to it.

I am planning a blower or nitrous, yeah.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiway, you have won round 1! I bow to the best! BTW, I use that trick when bracket racing to slow down quick so I dont break out!(should be more like" brake- ouch!") Hiway I was getting some answers here from the guys on our next engine mods! Cam and Pro-M 77. Anaconda, thanks, from what I have seen and now telling me I can keep my Mac CAI(not that I'm thrilled with it,but) I will be looking into the Pro77 when I update. Anaconda, please one more thing, have you touched your computer(chip,etc.)? And is your idle acceptable, meaning doesnt feel like its going to stall at any moment?Thanks again guys! :)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
DZAHER said:
Anaconda, please one more thing, have you touched your computer(chip,etc.)? And is your idle acceptable, meaning doesnt feel like its going to stall at any moment?Thanks again guys! :)
I had my Hypertech chip in there, but removed it. It stalled out a couple of times with the chip in (I blame the leaner air/fuel mixture). Since I removed the chip, it runs fine. It hasn't stalled out.

The first minute or so after I turn on the car, it runs a little rough. It does feel like it is going to stall out. After that, it is fine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anaconda,Thanks for your time and info!;)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
DZAHER said:
Anaconda,Thanks for your time and info!;)
Yeah, no problem. PLEASE ask more questions if you need to.

On a side note, my car did stall out this morning. I think it was because I didn't let it warm up before I drove it. I was late for work, so I just turned on the car, and while I was lowering the top, it stalled out. It ran fine once I got moving though, and didn't stall out at any of the traffic lights or anything.'

I think as long as the car is on for over a minute, it is fine and won't stall out.

In any event, I still HIGHLY recommend the Crane 2031 cam.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thansk again, thats good to know. I can deal with that at least till I get a custom chip down the line. I am not wanting a cam as some of the crowd so it sounds mean or something. I dont need the sound of a cam or the idle problems some have. My car is totally stock looking and will probably stay that way. I drive it every day rain, snow or shine. It sits outside also and I like to warm it up in the winter before taking off. The Crane and Steeda both sound great to me. I am leaning to the Crane as its cheaper for one reason! I figure if the addition of the cam and some skinnies in the front, and a little tuning here and there can get me flirting with the magic 12.99 and still being NA, I will be happier than a pig eating(you know!). BTW Anaconda, you leaning toward blower or nitrous? My 2 cents says if you can afford it go blower! Its always there!:D

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
DZAHER said:
BTW, "texan", are you running street skins with that time and 3.08's? If you are, you might be flirting with high 12's with slicks and gears!
Ya I ran that on potenzas. I got some nitto DRs, went to the track and didn't heat them up near enough and ran about the same et but the mph was off by 3-5. Think I've got that figured out, so I'm shooting for 12s next time out.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
DZAHER said:
BTW Anaconda, you leaning toward blower or nitrous? My 2 cents says if you can afford it go blower! Its always there!:D
I might have to settle for a 100 shot of nitrous. I have a couple grand worth of stuff that I need to do before the forced induction stuff. Before I even consider nitrous or a blower, I want the following things done:

2400 RPM stall torque converter
Trans Go Shift Kit
FMS aluminum driveshaft
Driveshaft Loop
FMS 4.10 gears

Those 5 things would cost AT LEAST $1000 to do. After that, yes, I would love a supercharger. I would get an ATI Procharger with the upgraded 3 core intercooler, if I did go for the blower.

By the way, my car is a daily driver. I only have this one car. I've had it since 9/98, and other than this weekend when I installed heads and a cam, it has been driveable every single day.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anaconda, looks like a good game plan for the gears and trans! All we need is an easy "bank job", got any down in Florida?:D I'll supply the hardware, you supply the get away vehicle!;)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
DZAHER said:
Anaconda, looks like a good game plan for the gears and trans! All we need is an easy "bank job", got any down in Florida?:D I'll supply the hardware, you supply the get away vehicle!;)
I actually already have several pieces of "hardware" for doing that type of work. And besides, I would have to rob Fort Knox to get enough money to get all of the mods I want done...hehehe

·
Registered
591 Posts
Another vote for the Crane 2031. It idles well, pulls hard, and doesn't stall out. I had a minor stalling problem when I first got it in, but with a small adjustment it works just fine now.

With the mods in my sig, I also dynoed at 261 RWHP and 310 RWTQ. No tuning devices or anything either. Times are before the cam install. I think it is easily worth .2-.3 and 2-3 MPH. We'll see soon!

texsn95,

Next time you head out to HRP, shoot me a PM and I'll try to meet you all out there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Erik, thanks loads for the input! I am probably going to get it as soon as one is available. Please PM when you get your new times as you are right there getting close to the magic 12.99! Good show and please let me know!!;)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
erik_94COBRA said:
Another vote for the Crane 2031. It idles well, pulls hard, and doesn't stall out. I had a minor stalling problem when I first got it in, but with a small adjustment it works just fine now.

With the mods in my sig, I also dynoed at 261 RWHP and 310 RWTQ. No tuning devices or anything either. Times are before the cam install. I think it is easily worth .2-.3 and 2-3 MPH. We'll see soon!

texsn95,

Next time you head out to HRP, shoot me a PM and I'll try to meet you all out there.
Actually I've never been there...I've run at temple the past few times. I hate that track. The lanes are so ****ing narrow that I'm scared I'm gonna smack a wall doing a burnout. I'd like to go to hrp soon though.
Question: When you go into reverse after you've been moving forward, i.e. parallel parking, do your rpms drop? Sometimes mine does and it occassionally stalls. Other than that it never drops down like that. Does going in reverse affect the amount of vacuum thus affecting the idle for a second??

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here is a sound file of my car also.

www.teampunkass.com/car.wav

It is kinda poor audio quality, but you can hear how it idles.

Clint,
I thought I remember you saying you went to HRP last time out. :confused: Anyways, it think the reason for your motor lugging issue is that reverse isn't as tall of a gear as first is (if I remember correctly). It's like starting in second, bogs down a little or will die if you don't slip the clutch enough. Could be some computer issue also. I don't really know and I really don't have a problem like that. If you do head down to HRP then let me know. Or to RCR. I've got some friends in San Marcos and Austin and we could all meet out there. Later!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Erick, thanks for the sound, cant get it now but when the wife gets home with her laptop I can hear it then!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts