Ford Mustang Forums banner

Which Cam for a Speed Density Car

984 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  CobraGT87 
#1 ·
I was wondering which cam will work in my 87 GT. It is still SD and I would like to install a cam and keep it SD. I have herd of the Crower 15511 cam that it works real well with these cars... any info would be great.

Thanks
PTheDevil :evil:

#3 ·
with a stock engine, an aftermarket cam will not do anything except maybe move your peak power higher up in the rpm range. You wont' gain any horsepower from it. The only thing you can really do now without doing anythng major is a mass air conversion.

#4 ·
Why do you have your heart set on keeping it speed density? A conversion to mass air is usaully the first thing anyone does to an 87 or 88 model. It's not that hard or expensive. I think MM&FF showed how to do it step-by-step in an earlier edition this year.

#8 ·
CCA-35-552-8 Ford: 1985-95 5.0L, 264/276 duration, hydraulic roller, Nitrous HP, camshaft $239.95

Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 264 intake/276 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in.: 212 intake/218 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .512 in. intake/.512 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 114 degrees
* RPM range: 1,500-5,600

#10 ·
Thanks for all the info... I think the Crower Cam will suit me best. I am in the process in searching for a set of either Thumpers or GT40's in the Head dept. My goal is build a 12 sec SD car (I dont care if I run a 12.999 I just want a 12 sec timeslip) .. I think with the right stuff ill be able to do it without the Nitrous....

#12 ·
This was maths Run

60ft: 1.794 launching accidentaly on stock rev limiter, suppose to be around 6250. I slightly lift the left front tire too!
1/8: 8.123
1/4: 12.726
MPH: 109.557

HOLY COW!!! I was shocked when I saw my timeslip!!! 109.5 mph !!!

STOCK TB, STOCK CAM, STOCK UPPER, STOCK INJECTOR, STOCK ECU, STILL SD !!!

#13 ·
5.0Droptop said:
This was maths Run

60ft: 1.794 launching accidentaly on stock rev limiter, suppose to be around 6250. I slightly lift the left front tire too!

Holy ****!!!!:joy:

The only diffrence between his car and mine is the lower intake ported heads and valves and longtubes? Those 60's were amazing!!! How can I do this? I guess my tires wont hold to a 5k launch... I run the mickey thompson sportsman on a set of 15x8 welds. Turbines in the front.. The best time I could squeeze out of my car on motor was 13.84@99.8mph that is with 14* of timing, When I ran my car on the Juice with 125 hp and 10* of timing I ran 13.49@107mph with a 2.2 60' My tires dont hook for ****. Any pointers would be great also Where can I get my heads done in the NY area? How much does it cost to get a porting and valve job done? I guess Ill contact TMOSS for the lower intake. I MUST HIT 12's on motor so I can see a possible 11 on a 125 shot of nitrous. how about those 4cyl springs and strurts with no sway bar... would that help... I have had mustang for a long time now and I must have a 12 sec car... The fastest I went is with this car o the juice....Any info would be great!!!

Thanks
Mike A.K.A PTheDevil:evil:

#15 ·
Really? I paid 100$ each for these MT's and they SUCK THE GOAT ASS!

#17 ·
let me know how they work... I think I am going to try the mcreareys.. SK Speed has them $119...How are those thumpers? I saw his site.. it seems too good to be true

#18 ·
5.0Droptop said:
This was maths Run

It shows what i've said for years, SD can run very well when dialed in properly even on a basically stock motor. I remember a year ago when people accross the boards said one must convert to MAF if they wanted to run H/C/I. I'll bet many have eaten their words since then.

It's nice to finally see more people working with SD and producing very nice results, maintaining good idle & driveability. Keep up the nice work. ;)

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.