Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Different pads for your cobra brakes. So many toad racers run the stock cobra calipers with blank rotors. It's about the pads. Some hawk Hps 5.0 or Hawk ceramics for the street are great.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes it will get you a bigger pad. Just keep in mind Master cylinder sizing when changing to different size calipers. MM has some good info on this. I know the Cobra R fonts are a popular option as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,248 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tires are front and back toyo r888 new this year miles on them 850 no problems at speeds 35 to 70 mph with braking but 80 90 110 i need more braking power

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
of the two kits my vote is for the wilwood as it uses a 1.25" rotor and find it rather odd that the other kit uses 1.15", although frankly i prefer oem parts you could grab at a local auto parts if/when in a jam, and don't have to worry about an aftermarket supplier phasing out.

are you trying to keep you existing wheels?
if not, why not the 2010 GT500 brembo and 14" x 1.29" thick rotor combo?

my car makes similar power and also had similar problems with the cobra brakes at higher speeds, so i did the corvette caliper and custom 1.25" rotor and made a huge different at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have sitting here new 2010 gt 500 rotors sitting here i was going to do that but cutting/ milling the calipers and so on. i just want something that will bolt right up and that cost $$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
8,248 Posts

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Well how about the ATS brembo swap and tarus rear caliper?
that's another good one although not sure if anyone has made them work with a 1.25" rotor although i know there was talk of the 13.4" corvette rotor, which is 1.25" thick being nearly identical offset wise to the cobra, so one would just need to re-drill for the ford 5-lug and increase the center hub diameter as the vet uses a slightly smaller one

there's a chart half way in the thread that details what the different brake options will do for the front to rear bias as its not as simple as just bolting up the biggest front brakes like many think

details of the corvette caliper with the 1.25" Gt500 rotor cut down to 12.9 are here
i did this as i wanted to keep my 18" saleens (see pic in signature), as well as my existing 17" drag wheels, which this accomplished

again, we have a great problem with all these options

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
yes, although highly overrated one

1 - 20 of 44 Posts