Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to relocate my battery to the trunk in my fox body.
What would be the best kit to buy?
THANKS

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I have used a couple of different ones, and haven't ever really been happy with the results. I haven't used it personally, but I think the Steeda one looks like an improvement over the other alternatives.

Steve

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I use the Summit #890100 battery box. It is of all welded construction, and has a sealed lid. It sells for $119.95. for a complete write up on battery relocation, go to http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom.html

Here is a photo of the Summit box in my TBird, with a 100A circuit breaker and power distribution block mounted on a piece of plexiglass bolted to the side of the box.

I suggest you follow Buffhomers' wiring diagram and wire gauge recommendations to avoid any problems.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I used the Taylor aluminum box for mine. As for the wiring, use Buffhomer's website. Its direct and very easy to understand.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
c4mustang92 said:
I used the Taylor aluminum box for mine. As for the wiring, use Buffhomer's website. Its direct and very easy to understand.
Exactly what I did.... And pretty happy!

Kyle

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Johns331,

That install looks pretty cool.

Does everything (including the starter go trough the 100 amp CB?
I've been thinking of doing the relocate, but the idea of running an unfused hot wire from back to front makes me nervous...

Where did you get that 100 amp CB?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The starter wire should be the only unfused wire. The best option is to relocate the starter solenoid with the battery. That way the starter wire is only hot when the car is cranking. The rest of the power of the car can then be ran through a fuse or circuit breaker and then to the front of the car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Johns331 said:
I use the Summit #890100 battery box. It is of all welded construction, and has a sealed lid. It sells for $119.95. for a complete write up on battery relocation, go to http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom.html

Here is a photo of the Summit box in my TBird, with a 100A circuit breaker and power distribution block mounted on a piece of plexiglass bolted to the side of the box.

I suggest you follow Buffhomers' wiring diagram and wire gauge recommendations to avoid any problems.
I have a comment on the way that you have the battery facing.

If you have an optima or another gel cell battery please disregard.

If you are running a lead acid battery you should mount it sideways and not lengthways towards the front.

Why this is has to do with the way lead acid batteries are constructed.

There is a series of lead plates that are anchored to the top, and with the g forces acting on them they are prone to sway backwards and short out, this may be a fatal short for the battery or it may just be for an instant which will be a ghost that you have to try and diagnose.

Either way you are better off running it sideways.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
neato5oh said:

Does everything (including the starter go through the 100 amp CB?

Where did you get that 100 amp CB?
The circuit breaker is a "Phoenix Gold" brand, available in just about any stereo shop.

I ran the 1/0 gauge hot wire directly from the cut off switch to the solenoid. The cable runs inside the car, and I shielded it with an extra layer of insulation on any potential wear points. I thought about relocating the solenoid to the trunk, but there are quite a few power wires that feed off the solenoid, and it was easier to do this way.

Ragtopjr, you are correct. The potential for battery failure in a regular wet cell battery is increased with the battery mounted lengthways. Costco sells the Optuma red top battery for around $109.00.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Johns331: You don't have to relocate all the stuff the starter relay connects to. Just have a terminal junction in the front where the solenoid used to be. The easiest thing to do is to use the MAD kit.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,317 Posts
why mount the battery sideways? That statement about the G-forces & the plate construction being affected, makes no sense at all.

Tell me, how is the battery mounted in the STOCK location under the hood? Its mounted the same as most re-mount them in the trunk or hatch... what difference, if any, is it going to make if the battery is mounted the same way in the rear of the car as opposed to the stock location in the front???

Not intended as a flame or heated debate, just trying to get some more insight on that statement for having to mount a lead acid battery sideways (horizontal) as opposed to length wise (vertical).

·
Registered
850 Posts
"why mount the battery sideways? That statement about the G-forces & the plate construction being affected, makes no sense at all."

Not to mention, some of us pull more "G"'s sideways than fore and aft. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts