Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying not to spend too much, but i don't want a piece of junk. first off which one is the best? stock rockers are pedestal mount right? how hard is the install? if i'm not changing the cam or anything will i still need shims to get it to not rattle? thanks guys

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think I would just go and get the 1.7 cobra rockers. They are cheap and made by Crane. Hope this helps.

-Billy

·
Registered
916 Posts
A lot of places sell them. I see Holcomb Motorsports has them for 180. Brothers sells them for 190. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

-Billy

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the diff between 1.7 and 1.72 really that much of a difference? is it worht the extra $ to get them? thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well, truthfully I don't know if they make 1.72 ped. rockers. They might, but I'm not sure. I don't think the difference is worth it. If you can find some for cheap, then why not. Good Luck.

-Billy

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I have a set of the Scorpions in 1.72 pedestal mount. I've also had the Crane "Cobra's" (FMS/Energizer), but they are only 1.7....I really don't know if you'll notice the difference between the two ratios though.
The Scorpions are way more heavy duty than the Cobra's, but the Cobra's are shaped different and tend to clear the stock covers better than the more heavier units. Unless your getting other valve covers, the Crane's would be the easiest and cheapest to install.
One thing to watch out for if you go with the Crane "Cobra's", the pedestals seem to be more brittle than other brands and may crack. I'm having to replace a few of them because they are either broken or have hairline cracks in them from either over tourqing or over reving.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
spacecaptan said:
do the crane/cobra 1.7s clear stock valve covers?
Mine cleared. I installed them on the stock heads/cam and it worked fine. I reinstalled them when I did my heads/cam and they still worked fine. It doesn't hit AT ALL on my car.

Some people have a problem (I think near the oil fill tube area) which you can just pound out with a hammer or file down. I was lucky.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do i need to get shims? i going to keep everything else stock(cam and lifters and spring)
thanks. you guys have been a great help. if you can answer this one last question i'll be on my way to 13s

·
Registered
241 Posts
spacecaptan said:
do i need to get shims? i going to keep everything else stock(cam and lifters and spring)
thanks. you guys have been a great help. if you can answer this one last question i'll be on my way to 13s
They come with shims (Crane), and you may or may not need them, you won't know until you install them. I needed to shim 5 of the 16 with my heads, some poeple never shim any some have to shim them all.

Most likely with the stock parts you will not need to shim any of them.

Remember when you intstall them: You hand tighten them down on the pedestall so you can barely move (rotate) the pushrod by hand, then if you have to go over 3/4's of a turn to reach torque (15-18ft-lbs), you need to shim them. DO NOT OVERTORQUE THEM!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. I would never get anything but the Crane if you are sticking with Pedestal mount, its a time proven piece!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i'm prolly just dreaming, but i'm hopeing that with rockers and headers will get me there. my tinking is that the rockers will help the intake work better and add some on their own. and i'm hopeing the stock headers are really restrictive. thanks again you guys.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
spacecaptan said:
yeah, i'm prolly just dreaming, but i'm hopeing that with rockers and headers will get me there. my tinking is that the rockers will help the intake work better and add some on their own. and i'm hopeing the stock headers are really restrictive. thanks again you guys.
Oh, rockers AND headers? Well, you will be close to 13's, but I think you will still be in the 14's. That's just a guess though.

And yes, the stock headers are really restrictive. Try breathing throw a drinking straw sometime.

·
Registered
241 Posts
spacecaptan said:
awesome, thanks to all of you guys. you guys think that'll get me in the 13s? my previous best is a 14.37
From my experience you should see a 10-12horsepower gain with both (possibly 15 but I doubt it) and about the same amount of torque.

This in itself, assuming you drive the same and the conditions are the same, you will not get into the 13's, although you should be DAMN close.

Good luck!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Anaconda said:
the stock headers are really restrictive. Try breathing throw a drinking straw sometime.
More like a stiring straw

1 - 20 of 35 Posts