Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 3 months with driving my daily driver with a e303, i thought it was time to get something new since whenever i mashed the brakes the car would die and id end up yanking the ebrake praying to god i didn't bump them, so i bought a b31 cam from my a member of another website, My heads were slightly cut for truness only(defintely not .030, maybe .010) relapped the valves in, combustion chamber measures 59.5ccs, using the good oll water and a needle.

two nights ago i got the intake off and the heads off and loosened all of the oil pan bolts, then yesterday i pulled the e 303 and stuck the b31 in, thinking twice I play-dooed my motor. my intake and exhaust both hit the pistons at the top with the b-31, even with the stock 1.6 arm. i was suprised at this since i already used a tfs stg 1, with these heads with 1.6 rockers and the e303 with my 1.7 scorpions!

i will probrably switch back to the stock camshaft retarded with 1.7 ratio rockers since im thinking of selling the car after putting 1200 into another aod rebuild. i would like to go to another quick ramp rate cam like the tfs or xe series cam, but the tfs wasted a set of springs and a lifter in 3000 miles of daily driving. I am bummed.:(

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I've been hearing alot about valve clearence issues with the GT40P heads lately....I really dont understand how or why, they have small ass valves in them... so you aren't the only one that has had this problem. I just installed a set of bone stock, new P heads with my F303 cam and I havent had a problem at all....I think there must have been some kind of casting shift with the P heads or something. What is the max lift of the B-31? I didn't think it was much bigger than an E cam with 1.7's...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you stick anything in there thats bigger than .220 [email protected] your gonna have problems with the stock pistons and you will have to notch the pistons to get that cam to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whoa. I'm planning on a Steeda #19 with my P heads....i believe that is a .480/.480, 224/226 cam. Should i be worried?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
collier said:
Whoa. I'm planning on a Steeda #19 with my P heads....i believe that is a .480/.480, 224/226 cam. Should i be worried?
Yes your should but you should always check P/V clearance anyway before you put in any cam other than stock...Trust me on this.:D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
b-31 has .550 max lift w/ 1.7 ratio rocker. Ive heard they work with ps, but in my experience it didn't.

Maroon,

I'm a mechanic and i called a salvage yard called K&H where we get our used parts from, and i asked for some heads for a 99 explorer. I got 97 castings with the exhaust crossover for 200, and had my machinist/engine guy, (who i'll highly recommend to anyone in SE Pa) go over them. they had a bent valve and a couple of things wrong and he only charged me 110 to do the heads with my springs and valves.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
yeah i dont understand why some people can fit these huge cams and others cant, its kinda a pita for me since i have the complete top end of the engine torn apart. what is the duration adv and .050 on the b-31?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts