Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

1986 Mustang 5.0

Replacing my stock UCAs and bushings, and on removal, the metal shells/casings/whatever their correct name is, that sit on the differential, became damaged and are now unusable. Does anyone know where a guy might buy these by themselves without bushings already in them? I have a brand new set of UCAs and bushings, and realize I need to use the factory style shells. Any help is appreciated. If my only hope is to buy a set of cheapo factory style bushings and drill out the rubber, fine, but I figured I would ask.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The rubber is molded directly into the shells but I think replacement bushings are pretty cheap.
If you buy new ones a messy way to remove the rubber is to heat the shells until the rubber turns to goo all around then push the rubber out. It's messy but it's fairly easy to do.

ks

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rubber is molded directly into the shells but I think replacement bushings are pretty cheap.
If you buy new ones a messy way to remove the rubber is to heat the shells until the rubber turns to goo all around then push the rubber out. It's messy but it's fairly easy to do.

ks
They’re like 12 apiece on Amazon so I ordered them since the part store can’t have them in stock any sooner. Actually listed as an AC Delco product but reviews say a bunch of people used them successfully on 8.8 Mustangs.

I was thinking of heating up an old screwdriver as hot as I can and jamming that down inside between the rubber and shell to loosen up the fit, then eventually push the rubber out. I’m still in disbelief the instructions on these prothane bushings say to retain the stock shells. One wouldn’t budge so I had to cut it out, and the other was distorted in the MM tool. Buffoonery!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wrote an article years ago on an easy way to remove the bushings completely from the housing but the first part describes how to remove the rubber leaving the shells:

ks
Kevin, this is amazing. Thank you. I could have used that write up before I bent the shell and had to use my grinder to get the PITA bushing out! Thanks for the tip on the drill to get the rubber out, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Maximum motorsports sells a tool to help press new bushings into the ears of the differential for the upper control arms if needed.

Nevermind, I see you have the tool

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after a lot of reading and more reading and then talking to some friends with experience, for the amount of street time the car sees, I decided the stock style rubber bushings on the differential side would be best, so I used some AC Delco ones off Amazon that press right in with the bushing install tool. I have BMR adjustable UCAs so I could dial in my pinion angle.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts