Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking, from what I've read, I'm going to go with the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark over the MSD DIS-4. So where to go to get it???

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered mine through Kennedy's Dynotune for $199.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't really have any comment on it yet. I just installed the Boost a spark and blower last week and I haven't had much of a chance to test or play with yet. (Iowa weather) I've only heard good things about it. Bob Kennedy told me, that he's taken out alot of MSD boxes and install the BAS in his customers cars. He swears by them, so I guess that says somethin' about 'em.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks DropTop,

Anybody else have any comments. What else can the MSD setup do that the boost a spark can't. I have heard of a lot of MSD ignitions failing. I am just wondering if that there is anything on the MSD setup that I would need that I can't control w/ a chip. This will be a supercharged application for now, turbocharged later.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The MSD DIS-4 does all the Boost-a-Spark does and a whole lot more :)

Spark boost, adjustable timing pull (from X-rpm to spark-kill rpm), RPM set spark kill, two-step rev-limit (for setting the launch rpm you want to leave the light at), and theft (complete spark kill, wire a hidden switch to completely kill your spark).

If all you need/want is to boost your spark the KB unit should be fine. If you'd like to be able to pull a few extra degrees of timing depending on weather, etc.. and or set a spark kill rev-limit instead of the factory fuel kill and/or would use the two-step feature the MSD would be a better choice.

I have an MSD unit......it recently died, why I really don't know. I've heard MSD is very responsive when it comes to replacing them though.

Tom Crews

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to need those additional options that are provided w/ the MSD. Its just that I have heard of them dying often, as in your case. How long have you had yours on the car. Does anybody know why these things keep dying. Do all of them just stop working or do they begin malfunctioning. I just don't want the MSD to screw up anything when I am racing or at high rpm's. Does anybody think it is possibly due to the fact that they are not being wired in correctly by the installer.

Please keep us/ me updated on what goes on when you call MSD. Maybe you could see what they have to say on why these things are failing. It seems to be the best unit of its kind especially for drag racers, but why is the thing failing all the time?

Thank you

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mine would blow out the spark and misfire under boost even when gapped at .26 - the Boost-A-Pump -> Boost-A-Spark cured it all.. I was amazed at how easy it was to install, and how well it worked (I wasn't expecting it to). Excellent choice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can adjust timing between certain ranges with the MSD on 96-98 cobras, just set the spark kill and two-step rev-limit.

I could be wrong though.

I have the KB BAS. It is a LOT cheaper than the MSD unit, especially when you factor in two adapter which you'll need with the MSD unit. Plus, the wiring is a breeze and it has NEVER failed on me yet.

Paul

tcrews said:
The MSD DIS-4 does all the Boost-a-Spark does and a whole lot more :)

Spark boost, adjustable timing pull (from X-rpm to spark-kill rpm), RPM set spark kill, two-step rev-limit (for setting the launch rpm you want to leave the light at), and theft (complete spark kill, wire a hidden switch to completely kill your spark).

If all you need/want is to boost your spark the KB unit should be fine. If you'd like to be able to pull a few extra degrees of timing depending on weather, etc.. and or set a spark kill rev-limit instead of the factory fuel kill and/or would use the two-step feature the MSD would be a better choice.

I have an MSD unit......it recently died, why I really don't know. I've heard MSD is very responsive when it comes to replacing them though.

Tom Crews

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Bright Blue Cobra said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can adjust timing between certain ranges with the MSD on 96-98 cobras, just set the spark kill and two-step rev-limit.
Paul
Yes, you have the ability to pull timing from X-rpm to the rpm you set as your cut-off. I used mine to pull an extra 3 degrees from 6,500rpm to 7,000rpm. It's progressive so it starts pulling at 6,500 and by 7,000 it would have pulled a total of 3 degrees.

I think you can pull a max of 20 degrees timing.

Tom Crews

1 - 13 of 13 Posts