Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not interested in permanent installation (I know sensor has limited life) , just want to have ability to run from tail pipe, 02 sensor, or maybe weld a bung on header for hook up. It needs to have cords long enough to run in from trunk or window, and have screen big enough to see OK if laying somewhere in front or hand held (not one of those little permanent installation small screens). Lamotta has a nice one I have used before, but wonder who else makes them.

I am interested in learning to use some tuning equiment such as the MAFterburner, and my car with IC does not do well on dyno for long periods in this 95 degree heat, and it is difficult to duplicate road or track conditions on the dyno with an IC car like mine. Lamotta figures at least 1/2 point AF leaner on the road than dyno for IC car. So I figure I need to test on the road, although i'm not sure where I can do WOT 4 th gear testing (I have a place in mind though). Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Ralph,

Check out the FJO wideband. Its cables will allow you to hook to the wideband O2 mounted in a bung near the stock one and then run it under the door and over to either a fairly large display unit or to a lap top that can display large numbers, a moving graph, and log it. It also has inputs for rpm and tps.

www.fjoinc.com

This is what I use to tune cars and it works very well.

Chris

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just ordered one from Egor Technology . I haven't received it yet, but they might have what you're looking for.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ralph,

This is one that I've looked at. Got the name from one Joe's posts:

Bailey AFM-1

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
Not interested in permanent installation (I know sensor has limited life) , just want to have ability to run from tail pipe, 02 sensor, or maybe weld a bung on header for hook up. It needs to have cords long enough to run in from trunk or window, and have screen big enough to see OK if laying somewhere in front or hand held (not one of those little permanent installation small screens). Lamotta has a nice one I have used before, but wonder who else makes them.

I am interested in learning to use some tuning equiment such as the MAFterburner, and my car with IC does not do well on dyno for long periods in this 95 degree heat, and it is difficult to duplicate road or track conditions on the dyno with an IC car like mine. Lamotta figures at least 1/2 point AF leaner on the road than dyno for IC car. So I figure I need to test on the road, although i'm not sure where I can do WOT 4 th gear testing (I have a place in mind though). Thanks for any info.
Ralph,
Are you saying the sensor will foul out if used on a consistant basis? I would love to know my A/F all the time!~

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Here is the one I use. Sensor life shouldn't be considerably different than any other O2 sensor. That depends on many things of course, but the cost of a $125 sensor is not much compared to the peace of mind of knowing your F/A mixture.

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

Ed

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed...Somewhere I got the idea that sensor life is in the area of 100 or so hrs. Probably incorrect. Don't know where I got that idea, and you are correct, one could just replace them as needed.
Steve... Don't think you would need to monitor A/F all the time. If one had an extra space for another guage, believe EGT would be neat idea.
I have recently lowered base FP slightly to work on hanging idle problem in hot weather only, and I need to turn my BAP up a little at WOT, but don't know how much to turn it , or how linear the dial is (one of negatives of BAP).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ralph, the sensor that is used with that kit goes to a Lean burn Honda. It's range is something like 10.1-free air.

The sensor was supposed to be good for 100k miles in that setup. If your car spends most of it's time at stoich there's no reason it should be only good for 100 hours. Now I wouldn't expect it to be good for 100k in a blown stang. But enough to get your moneys worth of tuning out of it.

Your also right about not needing it all of the time. After driving around with it for a few weeks you get a pretty good idea of where the mixture is at vice what the dyno read. But is sure is nice being able to look at it every now and then.

That all being said, I've had mine in for almost 4 months and it still seems to work just fine.

The only possible catch with that particular kit is that it uses a voltage regulator that is marginal for the input and output voltages that it's using. (there is a better regulator available as a replacement) So if you have it on a 12vdc circuit that may not be well regulated due to load it may affect operation. Mainly the heater element of the sensor. That will cause short sensor life. To prevent this I put the W/A injection and the WB on a 10 gauge wire and 30 amp relay directly to the battery. Through a fuse of course.

Ed

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ralph,

There is a stand alone Wide band system that several of the import guys have been using to aid in tuning. Its a small hand-held touchpad that can mount in the glovebox and is amazingly accurate. I need to ask Dennis to clairify on the manufacturer, but I know that there are a few neat features that the unit is capable of that seem pretty worthwhile. As far as I've seen, they also seem to hold up pretty well, especially considering that the O2 sees the extreme exhaust temperature abuse from being in a daily driven 900 horse turbo car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts