Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track last night and pulled some 1.85x-1.95x 60s.

At what 60ft do I have to start worrying about the stock 8.8? Its out of a 00 GT and has 3.27s.

No boost I stall at 3k. With 5psi I stall at 3.5k. At 10psi I may stall at 4k, though I haven't had the traction to even test that in 2nd.

Right now I'm launching out of boost, hopefully when I get the slicks on I'll be able to launch with boost and maybe get into the 1.6s. The 275/50/15 nittos weren't cutting it last night and I tryed everything to heat them up. Orlando is a notorioulsy crappy track with a dislike of nittos.

Basically I'm wondering if I need to jump on the girdle/31 spline axles/31 spline truck carrier bandwagon now or if it can wait.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
With an automatic you can go pretty damn fast and not worry about the rear. An auto really isn't as hard on the rear as a stick car especially since you don't have a brake. I have gone 1.76's with the stock rear in my auto with no worries.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've done 100s of passes on the stock 28 spline axles on slicks in the 1.70-1.80 range. The differential said goodbye after a couple dozen, but after the spool went in I've had no issues...yet. This is on a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stephen00GT said:
With an automatic you can go pretty damn fast and not worry about the rear. An auto really isn't as hard on the rear as a stick car especially since you don't have a brake. I have gone 1.76's with the stock rear in my auto with no worries.
Thats what I was hoping. Now if only a certain tranny engineer would give me the specs to make a brake I would really be launching.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have went 1.50 with a 5 speed and stock axles and diff., on the flip side, I went 1.76 about a month ago, and the next pass got the pass side axle. Both times were on ET Streets. The good thing about drag radials is there is a better tendency for the tire to break loose before the axle lets go. That isnt always the case though. I had a friend break one with dr's on his car that was running 1.7s.

·
Registered
30 Posts

i ran 1.36 60 foot with stock 8.8, slicks and t-5 , this car runs mid to low .4 all day long. the stock 8.8 lasted 2.5 years. then it went all over the track. it had around 200 passes and 95,000 miles. good luck

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I broke a 28 spline axle going low 1.7's to high 1.6's on slicks with a t-5. Went to the Motorsport (Ranger) 31's with a T-Lock and went mid 1.5's with no problems.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I made a dozen 1.7-1.8 passes on slicks (5k clutch dump launch) yesterday with the stock 8.8 that's been repacked and has a support cover. I also have Moser 28 spline axles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My buddy went 2 years in the mid 10's and 1.5x 60 foots on stock axels and stock posi...This is with a C4, on a blower car btw.

Never broke anything, only reason he upgraded was because the track got pissed off cause he had no c clip eliminators

·
Registered
220 Posts
I pulled a 1/794 the other day on a stock 130,000 mile rear!

·
Registered
30 Posts
well i opened my mouth to soon. i just got home for the track, made one pass went 1.52 60 foot and broke the housing off on both sides. the insides are ok but the rest is JUNK. the car ran 11.49 @ 117.32 broke.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Thats insane! I have seen a 10.5 tire outlaw car stand straight up with an 8.8, I heard he got rid of it though because they were noticing axle tube flex. It ran 5's in the 1/8.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'd worry about breaking an axle before the differential.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
ran for years in the 1.7x range w/5-speed. After only 2 track days of 1.6x stuff decided to break, left at a greedy 5500 rpms on stock axles w/ET Streets and a hooking track :evil:

on the forged 31 spline stuff now

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
28 spline stock axles are a timebomb on slicks!! Not a pretty sight to see one let go without an axle retention.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
When I did my gears I didnt want to puke up the cash for a larger unit...so I just went with 28 spline mosers...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts