Ford Mustang Forums banner

Where can i buy a good turbo kit for my street car?

4K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Carson 
#1 ·
turbo kits

I have an 89 coupe that runs strong, doesnt leak any oil or burn any for that matter.

I am looking for a twin turbo or single turbo set up, id rather go twin because of the faster spooling,

So far im looking at the stage one and stage two kits from ITS, innovatie turbo solutions. What do u guys think of this comany?

And im also looking at the stage one street kit from Pro turbo kits.

What would u suggest for my car, its an everyday street car with weekend drag racing. id like to run 11 this year

#2 ·
Some of us would like to help with a suggestion but we cant.

If we comment on a certain company, then other people sometimes tend to get upset because we did not state the company they like.

Its seriously political. I can tell you this. One of those two companies you mentioned is very good, and the other is not.

Choose your weapon.

#4 ·
I am currently installing a Cartech Street Sleeper kit for the 94/95 cars (upgraded to the T64). I cannot vouch for Cartech's delivery times, as I bought the kit used, but I can say the kit installs very nicely and looks to be good quality. To ease the install, I removed the air pump (I planned to do that anyway). My front passenger side motor mount bolt had to be cut (it was one of those nut/stud deals) to make room for the exhuast bypass, and I had to clip one piece of metal to make it easier to get to one of the intercooler plumbing hose clamps. The intercooler is a tight fit, but it will go in without removing the bumper. Oh yeah, the person I bought the kit from has a custom 3" dunp pipe made (never installed) that needed a small indentation (firewall interference). Other than that, it is a well designed kit. I also know Cartech has been around for a relatively long time. I have read that their prices are a little higher than some of the competitors. Of course, it may be worth it to pay a little more and know you will get the kit. Some people have not been so lucky dealing with other companies.

Also, Cartech has been helpful answering my questions when I have called, and even faxed me install instructions. They were not real clear (black boxes instead of pictures), but they did not have to do that, considering they didn't sell me the kit.

Let me repeat - I did not buy the kit from them, and I encourage you to check whichever turbo company you select thouroughly before you send them any money. I can only critique the quality of the kit.

#9 ·
I have a question. Why is it that if I were to call up, say, well make that any turbo kit manufacturer for a Ford Mustang, that I have to wait 30 days, 6 weeks, whatever to finally get my product in full? I should be able to call up and have my COMPLETE kit overnighted if I so wish.

From what I see, there is a market for turbo kits for Mustangs but nobody seems to get with the program. I remember one manufacturer (Australian based if I remember correctly) claiming there wasn't any market for the Ford Mustang. Well guess what. The current strategy of requiring a down payment, then waiting for the boxes to randomly come to your door weeks and months apart from one another, never mind all the other b.s. delays on top of it all, will never jive with most potential customers. No other product I can think of, automotive or otherwise, operates in this manner. No wonder that company and others go broke.

"Excellent reply Mustang A+"

No Mustang, in the words of the late Beavis and Butthead, that sucked.

If you are worrying about people getting upset over what you say, you should not reply at all, let alone be moderator. No matter what finds its way from your keyboard to the monitor in front of you, someone will always find something wrong or offensive about it.

#11 ·
Believe me I would rather have them waiting on a shelf!

ITS is working very hard to have our kits in stock and ready to ship.

Most problems Turbo companies have are vendor problems for the parts needed to fabricate a kit.

In the last year we have solved all of those problems and should have them on a shelf by March.

I prefer not to ship parts and pieces but wait and send it all at once.

Service and support have been lacking by Turbo companies in the past. ITS is trying to change all of these problems that people have been facing for years.

#12 ·
LW96 said:
No Mustang, in the words of the late Beavis and Butthead, that sucked.

If you are worrying about people getting upset over what you say, you should not reply at all, let alone be moderator. No matter what finds its way from your keyboard to the monitor in front of you, someone will always find something wrong or offensive about it.
Boy, your are just waiting to get taken to school arent you.

Your surrounded by people that know what happens when you trigger people, and you dont comment on the kit that they own. I have no ill feeling towards your comment, because I know better.

#13 ·
novipower said:
Excellent reply Mustang A+
And actually, my reply, DID suck.

#14 · (Edited)
LW96 said:
I have a question. Why is it that if I were to call up, say, well make that any turbo kit manufacturer for a Ford Mustang, that I have to wait 30 days, 6 weeks, whatever to finally get my product in full? I should be able to call up and have my COMPLETE kit overnighted if I so wish.
Turbo kits are hand made, and made to order, find a well established chassis shop that you can call and drop your car off and pick it up then next day.

Coilz347
IMO theres only 2 established (10+yrs) companies out there, TTI and Cartech, they make all the fabricated parts in house (to my knowledge) Both also make much more than kits for mustangs.
Personally i wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made of stainless, for thoses who will argue, c'mon the stock headers are stainless!!

I remember at 1 point some1 (clement) sayin you have to be hardcore to own a turbo, the more i learn the more I agree.

my .02

#15 ·
Not quite sure what you meant about being "schooled".

Someone asked about turbo kits and you stated you would like to help but can not, because somebody might get upset on your 'take'. Huh? What about the rest of the people here? Are you going to email replies to sticky subjects from now on?

So you designed some company website? So what? I can make my own decisions about biases and facts through my own research - whether it is featured on this site or not. Their favorite company is not on your list? Too bad. Tell them to make a website like this and pimp it for all its worth if they want equal press.

I for one would like opinions on all the kits available, good or bad. After all, I hope to be in the market in the next year to 18 months for my GT. So give me your take by email if you have to. You're just denying some usefull info for everyone else for the sake of appeasing some crybabies.

#16 ·
"Turbo kits are hand made, and made to order, find a well established chassis shop that you can call and drop your car off and pick it up then next day."

That is an option, but an expensive one - to have it hand made. For a street/strip kit, it would probably prove too costly as far as HP/Dollar goes, for myself anyway. For a strip only car, yes.

However, I want a turbo kit that is just a few dollars more, relatively speaking, when all is said and done. Something a little more power/torque wise than a supercharger, but not radical enough to warrant expensive fuel systems, DFI, ect, ect.

#18 ·
LW96 said:
Not quite sure what you meant about being "schooled".
I for one would like opinions on all the kits available, good or bad. After all, I hope to be in the market in the next year to 18 months for my GT. So give me your take by email if you have to. You're just denying some usefull info for everyone else for the sake of appeasing some crybabies.
Bro I understand your approach, but its just not that easy.

Its crazy, actually, its more like insanely political ( if that term is applicable ).

#19 ·
Well other then this board is getting way off based every time a "Turbo thread" comes up. If u want knowledge about turbos go to www.turbomustangs.com where the moderators and owner of the board are very nice and unbiased.

Anyway I have a ITS stage two kit and for a turbo kit you cant beat it. I would go with ITS but do research and see what u find out and what fits ur needs.

#20 ·
Yes, I'm very surprised this thread has lasted this far! :eek:

You'll hear good and bad about every performance part and company. Just gotta do your research and make your own decision, that way you have no one to blame but yourself if things don't work out. :D

At least you know if you go with ITS that Carson's always on here and turbomustangs so you'll be able to get ahold of him :D

I can't reccomend nobody though, until I have my results :D

#21 ·
Dave88LX said:
Yes, I'm very surprised this thread has lasted this far! :eek:
You and me both, I love ignore :p

#22 ·
Re: ptk

twinturbosaleen said:
I made 805 flywheel horses on pump gass with my pro turbo sn-95 street kit ..with a t-76 on it
Biased! Biased Alert! You cant do that in your title, thats wrong!

You have to be neutral. Heh heh heh.

:rolleyes:

#23 ·
Mustang

mustang said:
Biased! Biased Alert! You cant do that in your title, thats wrong!

You have to be neutral. Heh heh heh.

:rolleyes:
Unbelievable!! Can you not let it die! :confused:

People on here are asking questions about turbos, if you don't have a freakin answer then quit trashing the threads with junk post you moron. Now you are over on Turbomustangs doing it as well. Man just do us all a favor and let it go. You are the only one still bringing this up over here.

STOP!!:livid:

#24 ·
Re: Mustang

]Five-o[ said:
STOP!!:livid:
You got issues. Lets talk. Tell me about your mother...

:cool:

#26 ·
Stage I $2895
This kit is designed to "blow away" the supercharged competition with faster boosting response and awesome low end torque. Pound for pound this kit will produce more power than comparably priced chargers.
Two T3 turbos internal wastegate and actuator with stainless gaskets. The Intercooler is a 24x10x2.75 (core size) top to bottom flow. This kit comes with 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 downpipes, grade 8 bolts, 2" turbo to intercooler piping, 3" Intercooler to intake piping, silicon hump hose for vibrating and flexing positions, flexable hose that adapts to different size meters and T-bodies, stainless clamps,stainless braided teflon brakeline for oilfeed, stainless braided drain line, reusable air filters and a boost controller. Uses stock or aftermarket H-pipe requires battery relocation everything else to install is included with instructions. Rated up to 400 WHP.

Stage II $3495
This kit is design for those who want a little more than average. It includes everthing from stage I but upgrades the turbos to T3/T4 Hybrids and adds a Turbo Smart Type II vee port Blow off valve. There is also a second stage in car boost controller.
At only 10psi this setup will produce over 500WHP depending on other modifications and is capable of up to 700WHP.

Here are the two kits from ITS, right now im looking at the stage two kit. Is there anything id want to upgrade in this kit?

Is there anyone out there who has had experiece with ITS, or PTK? where are all the turbo owners?

Thanks for your help Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.