Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day about how people smoke or tint their taillights. You know how they will bix a batch of clear and throw like lets say 2oz or base black in it, more black the darker... Anyways lets say you have satin silver rims, like six banger wheels and you wanna give em a little flair. Scuff up the wheels with like 600 to 800 and spray the wheels...instant black chrome right?? Your base below the clear is still a dull silver, color ontop is a mist of black/ chrome tint. I think it will look pretty sick, any takers...

·
Registered
914 Posts
most people who tint their taillights use a translucent spray called VHT Nightshades, this allows light to pass through it.

i don't think light will pass through if you just paint them with black and clear.

as for your idea, I don't think it'd work, but go for it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
And you my friend are wrong (no offense man). But VHT sucks!! That #### fades way to easy after a few years. THE best way is what the OP stated....tinting automotive clear with black basecoat! It is still transparent, and has the UV protection due to the clear...and can be wetsanded and buffed to glass! Thats the best and IMO...ONLY way it should be done! My fiance's old ranger had VHT on the lights....it faded in about 2 years!! Dont get me wrong VHT makes KICK ASS header paint....but their headlight paint isnt as stout!

And his idea would make them look like almost gunmetal in color. I say do it....and post pics...I think it would work fine. The way your mixing is basically like a tri coat or candy....your tinted clear will just tone down the silver...and give you the effect you want (if you add just the right amount of black base and not TOO much).

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
im thinking the reason for black chrome is that the chrome provides the shine and the black just tints it. if you rough it up, i'm thinking it's going to show through.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
And 600 or red scotchbrite pad is too course for silver, gold, and light met. blue....and any light metallic color for that matter (it will sand scratch swell). Clean the wheels super good of brake dust and dirt and use 800 and a grey scotchbrite to scuff them...I would do it wet with a bit of dawn so the paper doesnt clog as easy...and it helps clean the wheels as you sand too.

Your not going to get black chrome, but tinted silver. It cant look any ####tier than stock....so thats why you go for it! LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And you my friend are wrong (no offense man). But VHT sucks!! That #### fades way to easy after a few years. THE best way is what the OP stated....tinting automotive clear with black basecoat! It is still transparent, and has the UV protection due to the clear...and can be wetsanded and buffed to glass! Thats the best and IMO...ONLY way it should be done! My fiance's old ranger had VHT on the lights....it faded in about 2 years!! Dont get me wrong VHT makes KICK ASS header paint....but their headlight paint isnt as stout!

And his idea would make them look like almost gunmetal in color. I say do it....and post pics...I think it would work fine. The way your mixing is basically like a tri coat or candy....your tinted clear will just tone down the silver...and give you the effect you want (if you add just the right amount of black base and not TOO much).
x2 on vht blows dick for tinting lol im gunna hit em with 800, not alot of black base like a few drops litterally and see how it goes, thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No problem man. Not all advice on here is good advice...I never steer people wrong though!! Good luck man....post pics when its all said and done.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm curious as well. could be the cure for the common pony wheel.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will do as soon as i have time to paint em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts