Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I have seen alot of interest in the 1993 Cobra and FR500 Wheels. Since we are a small company we can not make every wheel. We do have the Saleen Style, and the Bullit comming soon in 17x9 - 18x10.

So, what is the vote:
A) FR500 wheels in 18x9 and 18x10 (or 10.5), both in a light weight version(around 22lbs). They would have the stainless steel looking lip with silver or black centers and probably chrome.
B) 1993 Cobra wheels in 17x8 with a +22offset. These would also be fairly light (around 20-21lbs). 4 lug and possibly 5 in silver and chrome.

Either one will take about 90 days to complete and prices will be competitive with most of our other prices at www.wheelreplicas.com. Far as I know nobody does these wheels.

Post and let me know,
Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
93 Cobra's... There are tons of people out there who have turned their 87-93 hatch's into fake Cobra's, I have to assume they would want to take that a step further and put on 93 Cobra rims if they were available at a better price than authentic 93 rims...

I think the FR500 rims are cool, but business wise, I think the 93's would sell a lot easier...

I heard a rumor someone is making 03 Cobra rims in 4-lug though and I would be all for that :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I vote for the FR500's because nobody has them.

Also, will your 17x9 Bullitt replicas clear the 13" Bullitt/Cobra brakes?

·
Formerly known as BigLredlx
1,297 Posts
I vote for the 93 Cobras.

On another note, any pics of the new center caps for the Saleen replicas? I was one of the people to pre order them last year.

Lorne Grady

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like the FR500 wheels. Are you serious on this because I am real close to ordering BBS RK wheels. I do like the FR500 wheels.
I understand the real wheel is in excess of 30 lbs. How do you make it so much lighter?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fr500

I am seriously considering the FR500's.

On the questions on how we are going to make them lighter:
1) We lose weight by gutting out the extra material around the mounting pad (normally worth about 1-1.5lbs).
2) We gut out the backside of the spokes in the middle of the spokes (another 1-1.5lbs).
3) We lower the impact testing to 1500lbs per wheel from 1680lbs per wheel, which enables a thinner barrel (around 2lbs).
This adds up to about 5 lbs off, which should bring us down to 25lbs, and shaving a little here and there hopefully down to 23lbs.
Our Saleen style in 18x10 which will be here in 3 months is less than 30lbs

·
Registered
344 Posts
93's!!! You cannot get these things anywhere for less than an arm and a leg!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jeffo, how does all that weight reduction affect the overall strength of the wheel? How does it compare to a factory wheel? I'm sure Ford is more conservative.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
weights

Typically auto wheels are tested to 690kg load ratio (1518lbs). Many manufacturers will dip it down to 1400lb load ratios. Normally this does not make a difference on the Mustang as Mustangs fully loaded with 4 people and stuff in the trunk normally is under 4500lbs. The problem comes in that if you have to tow something. I figure most mustangs are not tow vehicles.

The wheels still pass a radial fatigue and side and angle impact test.
Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
Go with the FR500's

Go with the FR500's

Here's a fact

If your company produces the 1993 Cobra wheels whos going to buy them? People with 87-93 Mustangs

In the other hand if your company produces the FR500 Wheels whos going to buy them? People with 1987-2003 mustangs ........ go to the stangnet 46 forums everybody is drooling over the FR500s

I'm willing to buy the first 2 sets if the price is right (my car and brothers)

JM

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Re: Go with the FR500's

JamGTStang said:
If your company produces the 1993 Cobra wheels whos going to buy them? People with 87-93 Mustangs
Keep in mind that Jeffo said they would possibly be available in 5-lug! What my point is: People with SN-95's and other 5-lug Fords will be interested also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How about the FR500 in either a 17x8 or a 17x9 and 17x10.5 sizes? I like the FR500 design, but I don't want a 18 inch rim.

·
Registered
364 Posts
amargari said:
How about the FR500 in either a 17x8 or a 17x9 and 17x10.5 sizes? I like the FR500 design, but I don't want a 18 inch rim.
That's what I'm saying, some 17x9's in the front and 17x10.5's in the rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i vote for the fr500's because, as stated b/4, no one else besides ford has em. then again, i also like the option of getting them in 18"

1 - 20 of 70 Posts