Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all... im looking to install a 03 COBRA IRS on my 84 coupe. i want to go with 18x10 wheels.. I think the IRS is longer then the SRA#rear ends? so by that said, what year mustang wheels will fit on a fox with the irs.?.# any info will be appreciated

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You won't fits 10 inch wheels on that without major body mods. I have had 9.5 inch wide wheels on mine for the better part of 10 years. A factory 17x8 GT or Bullet wheel will fit fine. You may have to roll the fender lips to clear if the car is lowered. If you can find factory wheels from the S197 cars, the offset works even better as it sucks in the wheel to clear the fenders.

Any wider than 8 inches and you are looking at the "button bolt" mod for the rear subframe mount. I did the Kenne Brown hard tail modification to mine and eliminated the rear bracket. The IRS frame bolts directly to the frame rail of the car now. Doing this allowed me to fit a Race Star 5 spoke 17x9.5 wheel on the back and I have no fitment issues at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh really... didnt know that... i really want 18x10" rear and I do want to lower it as much as possible. rolling fenders or hammering it some is no big deal... how about custom wheels? is there enough room?

someone out there must have 10" rears with a irs fox...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Believe me, I've thought about it a LOT. Unless you can narrow the rear part of the IRS frame to bolt under the rear frame rail, 10's won't fit. Or you go really crazy and put fender flares on the car. 18 inch hoops might work, I've never tried it. No real loss in 9.5 to 10 inch using a 275 tire. And 315's won't fit without min tubs anyway. The IRS was made for a car that is at least 3 inches wider in at the fender per side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dammit i feel disappointed now.. I got to think about this twice then.. I have now 17x9.5 RaceStar with 275/40 and they look too small for my taste, I love the stance of huge wide tires,...... mini tub? I mite look into that

thanks man

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 92 coupe with an 04 IRS in it. I have the MM low profile mounting bolts (not the hard tail conversion) and I have a 18x9 wheel with a 6.72" BS (+45 offset I think) and a 275 wide tire. It's lowered with MM Coil overs all around and sits pretty low. Without fender flares, or some combination of extreme fender rolling along with a hard tail conversion, you won't fit bigger than a 275 tire on a fox IRS car. And I don't think you can really mini tub it with an IRS because of the way it mounts.

That said, I LOVE my IRS conversion and wouldn't change it back to a SRA at all. You need to define your goal for the car before you decide what to do on the rear end, I didn't see that in this thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes.. i was reading somewhere yesterday that in order to min tub you will have to relocate the shocks? i dont want to go as far as modifying so much.. and i wont cut up my car for flares.. to me the IRS swap is the best mod to a fox but the small tire is what got me thinking twice..

there is a black coupe (not sure in what forum i saw it in) with XXR521 18x10 with the IRS swap.. its REALLY lowerd but i do notice hes running thin as rubber..

my goal for my car is simple, upgrade it as much as possible and make it show clean.. the most important detail for me are wheels,, i LOVE aggressive wheels on a drop car.. cant get enough of it.. so if getting the irs illuminates the huge aggressive wheel, i guess ill pass on the swap... on my car the biggest i can go is 18x10 with 285 35 tire anyway, there is a guy with a 82 mustang ttop red with the pace car front nose with true forged wheels, i want to be like him when i grow up lol

hey guys i really appreciate it,, i was going to buy the irs this weekend actually from my friend, i guess not no more unless i figure something out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts