Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to retain the stock drums out back. I know moser makes ends for pressed on bearings, but I think they use some sort of proprietary bearing that wears out all the time making this setup a real PITA. I've heard nightmare stories re. moser axles as well.

Is strange or MWE making stuff that will work? I can't find info on anything w/google... I'm hoping someone has already done this here.

TIA

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Just curious...

Why do you want a 9"? Mark

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Probably to get rid of the factory C-clip design I assume.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No flames or sarcasm intended...

------------------------
Better IM neighbors...
------------------------
??? Have no idea what that means??

I was just wondering what the plans were for you '86? The 8.8 is a great rear that can take a lot of abuse. If you're not building a 9-sec car - then why put on the extra weight and go through all the swap head-aches? Sorry - my practical side was just attempting to save you some money... Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mark ,I believe he wants to keep his 8.8,but replace the tube ends with 9" ends.These ends offer positive axle retention like c clip eliminators ,but are better than c clip eliminators ,because they are generally welded in place,and don't leak during street use like the eliminators.I think some of the better kits use the larger bearings and will take a lot of punishment also.This is the route I will go when it comes around to that,you get the benefits of the 8.8,lighter weight and loss parasitic loss,and still get the positive axle retention of the 9".
Scott

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I use the moser 9" end kit and I've had it for about 3 years now. The only problem was the driver side bearring went bad about a year later. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

The 8.8 ends will be sliced off and the 9" ends welded in their place. The 9" bearring is pressed onto the axle (towards the hub) which in turn slides into the rear and is a tight fit (needed a slide hammer to remove the axle, although rust had formed), and is held in also by a crescent shaped bracket that is held by the stock 4 bolts in the drum.

The kit itself works awesome. And you can use the stock drums as well. Just make sure to let moser know exactly what you need.

Greg

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My apologies...

... for chiming-in and not knowing a thing about this conversion.

On a positive note - I learned something! Thanks guys! Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
nine inch ends

Can any one out there point me in the right direction for more detailed info about this modifcation.
I've heard about a mustang or ford magazine doing an article on this, but I cant find it any where.
Helppp
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
222 Posts
repost

·
Registered
428 Posts
LMAO at Jimmah! Use the small Ford bearing and you can retain the 8.8 brakes Jik...

I have some pics of the wagon's rear, if'in you needs them...

(Never mind him Mark! Afterall, he's a Canook! :D)

Nay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts