Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always just permatexed the heck out of both sides of the gasket faces (I didn't run a bead, I just spread it on like peanut butter) but I've recently read that this isn't recommended.

What I read is that I should just run a bead around the water ports only. Is this the *right* way? Or is there a better *right* way?

I installed intake gaskets last year that had smaller ports than what my heads had because I was in a hurry to get my engine together so I'm going to replace them this weekend. I just wanted to see what other people thought about sealing the intake up good.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah, run a bead around the water jackets, front and back of course. still use a big old bead on the front and rear of the lower intake. def dont use silicone around the exhuast and intake ports, it isnt necessary. and go with the fel-pro gasktes. i cant remember the part number. maybe 1240 or 1260, i cant remember.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I usually use a nice bead around all water ports and use a type of "Hi-tack" glue to secure them when I lay the intake on so that no port alignment problems occur. There are many different size gaskets to use depending on your port size. The 1262 is the biggest I believe. And don't use the cork gaskets on the ends, just use a really thick bead of RTV and lay the intake on very carefully. Be sure not to over-torque the bolts! 25ft/lbs at the most!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I use studs on the four corners to insure correct alignment. Then put all the bolts in by hand. Once the lower is in place, I just unscrew the studs and replace them with bolts. I use very little gasket sealer and I (unlike most) use the provided cork gaskets at the front and back. They've always worked well. I do put gasket sealer in the corners where the head, intake, and block join and a bit around the warter jackets.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I already have a felpro 1250 and it's a carb intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts