Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? A friend of mine said that a friend of his got 277 on the intake and 190 on the exhaust. It seems kind of hard to believe to me. :confused:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
One of the Renault F1 shops in France acheived 270ish on the intake side on 65 casting 289 head, for a naustalgia closed course car in europe.

That set-up was on a 289 with webers, that we got 460 hp with, using a flat tappet solid cam and stepped headers. pk hp at 6900

same heads on a 331, went close 500 hp, peak hp ~6700 rpm

the 460 hp value is right in line with what the NHRA superstock guys are getting out of the 64/65 289 combo, and the mid 85 4v-302 build-ups. they are getting closer 500 hp, using much better valve train and roller lobes.

buddy

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
For ordinary humans, 220cfm would be a really good number and would reflect much work and bigger valves.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Around 235 before you start loosing air flow at .1, .2, .3 lift figures. After that the RPM you need to turn and the expence to do the port work and parts needed to servive at high RPM becomes too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the guy that did it is pretty good at port work but I am not sure this is possible. He epoxied the hell out of the heads but still. Is it possible that the flow bench is off????

G

·
More meaningful would be how many cc did he open up the ports?
stock E7 about 127, stock GT40P being about 145. Too big a port
will kill low end response. I'm certain the old tunnel port could
be made to flow more..but why?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The renault heads were right at 160cc's. typical superstock heads depending on the casting allowance will be around 140-145cc. the SS heads normally flow around 230-240, using stock intake valve dia.

But you have to quantify the difference in porting. for instance a SS style port job will run 2K. you are paying for knowledge and the 'key'

the Renault stuff was not cheap, I can figure

the normal shop offerings, when done nicely will flow around 215-225 (28") on a port opened up to 140-150 cc (125cc style casting).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts