Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide if I should run what I have, buy am $850 new intake, or a $250 port job on the explorer intake. Is 350-400hp N/A possible with an unported explorer intake?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
There are several slightly different versions of the explorer style intake. I doubt it would support much more than 300 whp even with porting. Unless you want a stock appearing engine, an aftermarket intake is a more cost effective option and you would have room to grow. I would look for a holley systemax intake, which is one of the best efi intakes available IMO. You may also want to ask Tmoss about this. He has done alot of work on the explorer/gt40 intake platform and has gotten some impressive numbers out of them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are several slightly different versions of the explorer style intake. I doubt it would support much more than 300 whp even with porting. Unless you want a stock appearing engine, an aftermarket intake is a more cost effective option and you would have room to grow. I would look for a holley systemax intake, which is one of the best efi intakes available IMO. You may also want to ask Tmoss about this. He has done alot of work on the explorer/gt40 intake platform and has gotten some impressive numbers out of them.
Totally not true. With the right porter.. they will support 400 RWHP easy. Definitely cost effective to port the explorer intake versus buying aftermarket intakes.. if your decide to go that route..look up Bigdogs porting for sure!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I may be off with the numbers, but I do know it takes serious port work along with cutting and welding to get well into the hp range the OP wants to be in. It's not a cheap job and I don't think its worth it unless you want a stock looking sleeper build.

·
Old timer
6,075 Posts
No way are you obtaining 400 RWHP with a naturally aspirated 308 inches and any Explorer intake.

Buy a Holley SM2 and get it "properly" ported, not hogged out.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Totally not true. With the right porter.. they will support 400 RWHP easy. Definitely cost effective to port the explorer intake versus buying aftermarket intakes.. if your decide to go that route..look up Bigdogs porting for sure!
I’ve never seen an explorer intake make 400whp, unless nitrous was involved.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The question was..
" how much hp will an Explorer intake support"

Not how many cubic inches.. not blown or natural aspirated...
Man yall need to relax, no need get hostile.
The idea behind porting is stealth while looking stock. Or..you guy buy a $700 intake and look cute and make less hp than a junkyard intake. Its all up to you.

·
Old timer
6,075 Posts
Maybe read the OP's signature?

308 DART PRO1'S
TREMEC 3.73

Again for those in the back of the class room ...

You are NEVER going to make 400 RWHP with any Explorer intake in a naturally aspirated 308 engine...

·
Registered
300 Posts
No way are you obtaining 400 RWHP with a naturally aspirated 308 inches and any Explorer intake.

Buy a Holley SM2 and get it "properly" ported, not hogged out.
"Properly" ported Ed? You mean grind on it until you cut through the aluminum , then use apoxy to fill it back in, then paint over it to cover up the bs work?
Why spend money on the SM2?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe read the OP's signature?

308 DART PRO1'S
TREMEC 3.73

Again for those in the back of the class room ...

You are NEVER going to make 400 RWHP with any Explorer intake in a naturally aspirated 308 engine...
I agree 100% but this is a different build totally

·
Old timer
6,075 Posts
"Properly" ported Ed? You mean grind on it until you cut through the aluminum , then use apoxy to fill it back in, then paint over it to cover up the bs work?
You must work with some pretty hack porting shops! (PS: it's "E"poxy not apoxy.)

Why a Holley SM2? If you have to ask, time for you to buy a Honda and sell the Ford.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Because its a decent intake that needs no extra work to do what the OP wants.

I get the whole stealth stock thing. I did it myself in the 90s and have inhaled enough metal dust to have a mining lung disease. I left the engine nice and dirty to make it look like a serious pos. Its cool when you want bragging rights, don't have money or a girl friend plus tons of time to kill, but these days I have more important things to think about with the 20 or so years I have left on this earth.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The question was..
" how much hp will an Explorer intake support"

Not how many cubic inches.. not blown or natural aspirated...
Man yall need to relax, no need get hostile.
The idea behind porting is stealth while looking stock. Or..you guy buy a $700 intake and look cute and make less hp than a junkyard intake. Its all up to you.
His first post states n/a, and his signature says 308ci.

Anyways, porting an explorer intake isn’t something I’d do, when there are lots of other options, and they also don’t look like an ugly lump. I just don’t get the obsession people have with the “stock look.” Totally fine if you do, it’s just different strokes for different folks.

A used sm2, or rpm2, or r intake are what I’d get. No use buying one new with all the used ones that pop up.

Reactions: mrjody

·
Registered
300 Posts
Because its a decent intake that needs no extra work to do what the OP wants.

I get the whole stealth stock thing. I did it myself in the 90s and have inhaled enough metal dust to have a mining lung disease. I left the engine nice and dirty to make it look like a serious pos. Its cool when you want bragging rights, don't have money or a girl friend plus tons of time to kill, but these days I have more important things to think about with the 20 or so years I have left on this earth.
Fair enough. Hope it all works out for ya.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You must work with some pretty hack porting shops! (PS: it's "E"poxy not apoxy.)

Why a Holley SM2? If you have to ask, time for you to buy a Honda and sell the Ford.

No.. in fact I only deal with one porting shop and I promise you there is no hack jobs going on. But none the less.. no need to ruin the op's thread. He just asked how much power an Explorer intake would support.
Apoxy , e poxy.. its whats used to cover up "hack jobs" Ya know what I mean?

The SM2 is a good intake.. never said it wasn't. Just asked why buy a SM2. You have a great afternoon Ed. ☕👍[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just curious, what if the engine was supercharged? Would the ported explorer still be a restriction at say 350-400rwph? Would there be a noticeable gain from an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I made 510 rwhp with unported explorer intake and a D1SC Procharger on a 306, with TW170 Pedestal Mount heads. 1.6 RR, e303 cam and professional products throttle body.
When it finally blew up, I took the throttle body off to find a stock throttle gasket. Lmao.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Forgot to add. Full weight. Car trapped 126 mph.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I made 510 rwhp with unported explorer intake and a D1SC Procharger on a 306, with TW170 Pedestal Mount heads. 1.6 RR, e303 cam and professional products throttle body.
When it finally blew up, I took the throttle body off to find a stock throttle gasket. Lmao.
Great thanks, I guess it's not as much of a restriction with air being forced through.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts