Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 575 Cobra shortblock and ported PI heads I've been contemplating switching to the Cobra heads and reaping the HP rewards but many people I talk to tell me to 'keep it a GT, it's a beautiful car...', or 'wait for the turbo kit' as if making the change will spoil my car. What's the deal? Will I be disappointed by the lower torque down low in the Cobra?

dave

·
Registered
545 Posts
downside = you wont have an excuse for being slow anymore. :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Once you get it running right everything will be a plus.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The noticeable dent in your wallet is the only downside LOL.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The downside is the cost. To go with a built engine, you will have to buy one and rebuild or spend extra $$$ buying a longblock because you do not have a core exchange.

You can make over 600rwhp out of a SOHC and you can spin to 7500 with the right parts. You are already most of the way there now.

With your current power, learning how to drive it, you'd be in the 10's.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would I have to buy a longblock? I already have the Cobra shortblock with all forged internals. Wouldn't I just need the heads and intake, and of course the computer? As far as traction problems, I can't imagine having more of a problem! First and second are already useless. Honda Accords beat me across intersections because I'm probably not good enough to control the torque I do have. I wonder how much it would cost for the parts needed????

dave

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Dave...Other than the cost, your car may not be any faster even if you could dyno 50 more HP. My engine makes max power at 7300 thru stock intake stuff, shorties, cats, etc, and with better intake and exhaust that might be moved up some, and my max TQ comes at 5900 now. I'm not sure you would pick up much power in street set up, and doubt if you would be faster (in street set up).
I am very impressed with some of these 2V set ups in the 500-600 RW range. They are close to 4V power with same set up, and more TQ at lower RPM. That tells me good 2V's are moving as much air as 4Vs. Just lookat Jimmy V's car.
MHO

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
rammer said:
Why would I have to buy a longblock? I already have the Cobra shortblock with all forged internals. Wouldn't I just need the heads and intake, and of course the computer? As far as traction problems, I can't imagine having more of a problem! First and second are already useless. Honda Accords beat me across intersections because I'm probably not good enough to control the torque I do have. I wonder how much it would cost for the parts needed????

dave
Dave, sorry, shoulda read the post instead of subject line, or else I would have noticed you running a Cobra shortblock.

I think you answered your own question. Do two things and you'll have some numbers you can be proud of, address the suspension and learn how to put the power to the pavement.

If you can't control it now, why add more to the issue.

Suspension is half the battle. You already have the power.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dave,

What additional HP rewards are you after?Your making 550rwhp...

If you want to stay a 2Valve and add more power,get a turbo or a larger supercharger...We only have 17 degrees of timing in mine right now.

I can set you up with the heads I have if your interested..We aren't even close to maxing out my combo..Im limited by my Strim at this point....

4valves are great,but honestly,the 2 valve daily is proving it can stay there with them...

I just dont see how you would really gain much at this point by swaping....Maybe just a few minor changes on yours and you should be all over 600rwhp..It honestly may just need alittle more aggressive tune...

Tim

Good luck with what ever you do......

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the input. I guess I thought that with the Cobra set-up, I could maybe get the same or slightly more HP on pump gas. My numbers, while somewhat impressive, are with a tune using 104 octane. For the street right now, the MSD is pulling out 5 deg so I can use 93/94 octane( I wonder how much HP I lose with the timing pull??). Hey Tim, is your tune a "on the edge" tune? SHM is telling me that they're comfortable with 12.0 A/F ratio. I wish I had the car right now! SHM's had the car three weeks trying to troubleshoot a Fuel system probem I've had since they did the original work. I sure hope they can finally give me some peace of mind.

By the way, I'm starting to switch over to a Griggs set-up to help the suspension.

dave

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dave,

No sir..They only have 17 degrees of timing in it with a 11.4 A/F....They kept it this way until I get a intercooler...Once we cool it down,then they will ad more timing....

Im running race gas also for saftey reasons...I really dont see why they are having you run 104 with 15 psi and a intercooler..You should be able to do that with 93 octane..Maybe they are just playing it safe for you....

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts