Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats the difference between the mach1 and the cobra engine both are 4.6 both are 32v. i'm refering to the older cobra the non supercharged versions.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wanna say the mach has an all aluminum block, '01 cobra heads, navigator cams with a tad more compression than the '01 cobra. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks i was just wondering i've been reading on them and just curious what the differences were.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
hellbound911 said:
so whats the difference between the mach1 and the cobra engine both are 4.6 both are 32v. i'm refering to the older cobra the non supercharged versions.
The Mach 1 has:

Aluminum block (slightly different than the '99/'01 aluminum block)
Cast 10:1 pistons
Pressed Powder connecting rods
Forged crankshaft in 5-spd cars (cast in Autos)
Revised 4V heads (Same as '03/'04 Cobra heads)
Revised intake cams for more low-end tq (Same as '03/'04 Cobra/Navigator)
Revised upper/lower intake manifolds (minor changes)

'99/'01 Cobra has:
Aluminum block (slightly different than the '03/'04 aluminum block)
Cast 9.85:1 pistons
Pressed powder connecting rods
Forged crankshaft

'01 Cobra 4V was accurately rated at 320 hp/320 tq, while the '03/'04 Mach 1 4V was highly underrated at 305 hp/320 tq... :D

Dyno graph illustrating the difference between my (stock) '01 Cobra 4V @ 700 miles & my (stock) '03 Mach 1 4V @ 700 miles:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
Hey Angus...Don't we have the improved 03 Cobra exhaust manifolds also?
Yes, but I didn't include them because I though his question was referring to the "Long-Block" differences only...

...that's why I didn't include the shaker intake stuff either... ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
RedSnake97 said:
I dont think I have seen one with the signature plates. Are they still handbuilt? Are they assembled at the same plant?
The Mach engine is not handbuilt. They new Cobra's still are though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sapperstang78 said:
The Mach engine is not handbuilt. They new Cobra's still are though. [/QUOTE

Thanks for the response. I just was curious and had trouble finding out without posting.

I dont think it matters much given the lure of the mach 1 heritage. Not to mention the performance. They are all aluminum and higher compression with live axel, this makes up for the lack of being hand assembled. Mach 1 has its own uniqueness. I think all aluminum is the big deal, to me at least. Do they weigh the same as the 01 cobras in the front? Or is it more due to ram air? Doubt it though siince that is mostly plastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts