Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some tell me what would be the difference between these 2 as far as sound and performance is concerned? I got the catted shorty H-pipe for emissions reasons, but would like to put on the off road one when the catted one is not needed!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
An off road pipe is going to be much louder than the catted pipe. It should also allow for a little more power since there is nothing restricting the flow. With the off road you will also smell a little unburt fuel in the exhaust but personally I love the smell. You will also get a check engine light with the off road but will not hurt performance. It could be a little annoying with the light on all the time so a lot of people buy MIL eliminators to get rid of the code sent to the computer.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
On my car with about 550 RW thru shorty headers and Bassani X with cats, and then on thru Bassani catback, I don't think it hurts peak HP much, and may help with low RPM TQ. I have seen some dyno results in, I believe, 5.0 Magazine where it hurts about 3-4 peak HP on NA car with otherwise stock exhaust .

However, on a car with Long tube headers , and the cats became the main restriction, it may make more difference, repeat may. MHO

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love the sound with the o/r H. So much louder and at the high end power is much more prominent. But the O/R H but if you have emmission requirments be prepared for that.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I could get the offroad H, uncatted and just swap it with my catted one until I have to get inspected? I got the shorty one from BBK with my LT's!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts