Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to see which is the bigger bottleneck... the intake or heads... trying to see what step I'm going to do next.. I was thinking of sandrolling and smoothing out some e-7's or buying an explorer intake... trying to decide which one would net me the most power...

So what is the biggest bottleneck the heads or the intake.. dicuss amongst yourselves.. :D

Scott

·
Registered
885 Posts
From what I've read, the exhaust port on the stock E7TE heads is the biggest bottleneck in the system.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Utlimately the biggest bottleneck is going to be the heads. However, if the question is which of the STOCK pieces to replace first, while the other stays stock...intake. An improved intake on stock heads is worth the trouble. Improved heads on a stock intake wouldn't be, IMHO. Matter of fact I recall a while back arguing with someone who said putting an intake on stock heads was a waste of time, and when I said I'd gained almost 4 mph in the 1/4 with a Cobra intake on stock heads, a guy chimed in and said that's about what he got after installing better heads and bolting the stock intake back on it. But that was a lot more work and expense.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha.. thanks MFE

That was my thinking also..

·
Registered
885 Posts
But you should also consider that if you ever plan on changing the heads, you gotta take the intake off anyway. In my case I'm gonna wait til I can afford both and do them at the same time. If you only want to do one to begin with though, then definitely the intake. I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of putting good heads on an engine and topping them off with the stock intake.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
TRue TRue...

I put a new intake on my car and did the throttle body at the same time... Umm can we say AWSOME power increase.

Ill do heads soon enough.... but the intakes are a great upgrade.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well whatever I do I am going to do only one of them right now... and the other one a few years down the road.. So I'll change the intake now and do the heads at a later date.. I have a friend who will loan me a set of E-7's to use to clean up and then I'll give him my old set of E-7's when I install the other set.. I figure sand roll the intake and exhaust.. remove the thermactor bump.. If I decide to keep it N/A I will think about shaving the heads to up the compression a bit.. and add RR and maybe a good valve job, and new hardware..

If I decide to strap on a M-90 like AlexLTD (I think it was him) I won't mess with milling them and leave the compression alone.

Scott

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I raced a guy on the highway with my CBR F4i up to around 255km/h

he had a coupe with an s-trim, edelbrock heads, and stock intake. My bike ran 120mph on the 1/4 and I couldnt pass the guy till we reached 250km/h.

I talked to him afterward and to my suprise the car went that good with the stock intake.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Of course it did... it was BLOWN....

heads/intake/etc ... are all good. but get blown and they seem trivial. A blower on a stock car is still going to make some good power.

Go with the intakes... but dont invest any money on cleaning up the E7's youll spend the same on a new set of aluminums...

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the heads are going to cost me right now is the cost of the sand paper rolls.. I already have the Mandrels, die grinder and compressor. The only cost will be in the valve job (If I decide to do it) and the milling them (If I decide to do it) Either way RR are going on...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The stock lower intake is by far the biggest bottleneck on a stock engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts