Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to the track next week hoping to improve on my 13.2 @109.53 from last year on street tires.i have run 16 inch bfg's and use to dump the clutch with my stock 96 motor a few years ago.i got 1.9-2.0's 60 fts.how should i lauch now with the nitto's.i manage a 2.003 slipping the clutch around 2500 but i miss 2 gear and aborted the run on goodyear eagles last year.on my 13.2 run my 60 ft was 2.16.i'm figuring that with the same technique and launch rpm i might get some 1.8's.post your launch style on nitto's or Bfg's

·
Registered
195 Posts
I heat them just until they begin to haze. Then I leave around 3-3500. Slip the clutch just a little until they hook in the top of first, then go WOT. I consistently get 1.80s, worst being a 1.84. I also run 17psi, fwiw. This is on a stock suspension with stiff lowering springs, both sway bars attached, and 275/40/17 NT555Rs.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
whats the best way to get good 60 fts on 17" nitto's drag radials ?

Put them on the front rims, and run slicks on the rear!!!!!!!!

joe

·
Registered
398 Posts

joe [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh ya that's going to help him alot. First off try not to listen to peolpe like this:rolleyes: . Your best bet is to practice alot at the track. Talk to people there with the same tires and see what they run and watch there 60 foot times.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
SILVER BULLET2 said:

joe

Oh ya that's going to help him alot. First off try not to listen to peolpe like this:rolleyes: . Your best bet is to practice alot at the track. Talk to people there with the same tires and see what they run and watch there 60 foot times.
:eek: 32Vpwr response is probably your best bet, just get a good aftermarket clutch, stock one will tear up pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
joe

you are on a rampage today :lol:

WHen you going to the track next?

... as with d/r's ... heat em up then for around 6-8 seconds then launch at around 4k

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
SILVER BULLET2 said:
Yeah numbnuts, it was a joke. Listen to SilverBullet, he's the only one who knows what they are talking about.

IVOML is gaining more and more members everyday!:rolleyes:
joe

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I agree with Joe, Nittos are good tires but you'll almost always get a better sixty with a different tire so long as it's not a stocker.

1.80 consistent on 17 inch nittos and a 32V? I find that impressive. That 32V is doing pretty good down low.

A 3-3.5 dump on my car would cause it to bog and it's a blown 2v. 3k would bog hard, 3.5k would feel decent but didn't give good 60's, high 1.9-2.0ish. 3.7k gives some wheel spin and 1.93 sixties. 4k makes no movment and smoke. That's about 14-15 psi

I've only gotten a 1.89 once on my 275-40-17's. I drove them almost 2 years and tried many different ways of launching. That was also NA. With a blower I can't do much better than about 1.93. That's with a pretty darn smokey burnout. It's a fine line with them.

First pass with a set of 15 inch BFG's, a 4k dump and almost no wheel spin only got me a 1.79. My best sixty to date. And she's making pretty good power at 4k. A little higher dump to get just a bit more spin and the sixty would probably go down more. BTW, that was with no burnout.

Nittos are fine tires for the street, okay tires at the track.

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have gotten consistant 1.8 on my 17 Nittos(Check Sig). But as Raven GT was saying you will need a more sticky tire fir GOOD 60 ft times.

And you haveing a Vortech on it isn't going to help much! But my launch tech. was about the same as 32VPwr except I smoked the hell out of them like slicks(Iguess thats why I have broke a stock axle and a stock locker before(two diffrent times) But my launch could have been better but my rear uppers and lowwers are worn out.

Ihope this helps ya, post on your results!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Edward Clark said:
I agree with Joe, Nittos are good tires but you'll almost always get a better sixty with a different tire so long as it's not a stocker.

1.80 consistent on 17 inch nittos and a 32V? I find that impressive. That 32V is doing pretty good down low.

A 3-3.5 dump on my car would cause it to bog and it's a blown 2v. 3k would bog hard, 3.5k would feel decent but didn't give good 60's, high 1.9-2.0ish. 3.7k gives some wheel spin and 1.93 sixties. 4k makes no movment and smoke. That's about 14-15 psi

I've only gotten a 1.89 once on my 275-40-17's. I drove them almost 2 years and tried many different ways of launching. That was also NA. With a blower I can't do much better than about 1.93. That's with a pretty darn smokey burnout. It's a fine line with them.

First pass with a set of 15 inch BFG's, a 4k dump and almost no wheel spin only got me a 1.79. My best sixty to date. And she's making pretty good power at 4k. A little higher dump to get just a bit more spin and the sixty would probably go down more. BTW, that was with no burnout.

Nittos are fine tires for the street, okay tires at the track.

Ed
Well, I guess I should have clarified more. I just assumed he would know I was talking about the Cobra, since Nitto 17" Drag Radials won't fit on 18" Saleen wheels. And until they make 18" Low profile DRs (PLEASE!!!), you are correct about the 32V motor, and its tendency to bog. On 18" 255 street tires I get 2.0s, leaving around 3-3500 slipping the clutch - actually very similiar to the way I drive the cobra. If I had decent traction in the saleen, I would play with 4-4500rpm launches and slip the clutch.

I do disagree with you, though, about Nittos not being a great track tire. With some control arms, and aftermarket shocks/springs, mid 1.7s would be very possible, if not better - all on a 17" drag radial. Atleast on my car. It 3370 with me in it (fullweight, nothing removed), and I guess I've learned how to drive it. :D

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE - that will get you better 60s on drag radials.

Take it easy!
josh

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
32Vpwr said:

I do disagree with you, though, about Nittos not being a great track tire. With some control arms, and aftermarket shocks/springs, mid 1.7s would be very possible, if not better - all on a 17" drag radial. Atleast on my car. It 3370 with me in it (fullweight, nothing removed), and I guess I've learned how to drive it. :D
You help prove a point. The same day, 1.93 on Nittos, 1.79 on BFGs. No suspension mods required to get a 1.7x sixty with the BFGs. Do the same suspension mods on the BFGs and start busting axles. Heck maybe even before that!

Ed

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The Nittos like to be heated much more than the BFG drag radials. Here's how I like to do it:

Back into the edge of the burnout box where the pavement is wet (but not into the water itself). Put car into first gear and spin the tires over enough to make them damp.

Immediately stop and put trans into second gear. Let clutch out while holding the brake and bring the rpm's up to about 4000 to 4500 while continuing to hold the brake. Let car sit there spinning until the tires smoke pretty well (about 5-7 seconds). Take your foot off the brake and spin all the way up to the line - do not dry hop.

Stage and depress the clutch JUST ENOUGH to keep it from engaging the transmission. This will help to prevent 'shocking' the rear tires when you leave the line. If you shock the drag radials its all over - they spin very bad.

When the next to last amber appears, I let her go and floor the accelerator petal - this is really not 'slipping' the clutch. Just using the petal in a manner to avoid a sudden hit to the rear tires.

Believe it or not, my cobra has over 600 drag strip passes on the stock clutch - the vast majority with drag radials. Yes, that's very good advice from the other fellows - practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Edward Clark said:

You help prove a point. The same day, 1.93 on Nittos, 1.79 on BFGs. No suspension mods required to get a 1.7x sixty with the BFGs. Do the same suspension mods on the BFGs and start busting axles. Heck maybe even before that!

Ed
Not really, because you're comparing apples to oranges. Of course a 15" drag radial will offer a greater hook than a 17" drag radial. If you run 15" drag radials as your full time street tire, and can afford to replace them every 5000 miles or so, then more power to you - cause yes they will hook better just as a 15" nitto would hook better than a 17" nitto, if they made one (or do they?). For me, though, the 17" nittos are my daily street tire, and to grab a mid 1.7 with a few suspension parts makes for a pretty mean light-to-light ls1 killer! :D But, yes, I agree, a 15" will hook much better, depending on width, do to much more sidewall flex. I guess it really depends on what you use the car for - street/track/street-track. I just dont believe in running my car differently at the track than I would on the street, ie removing weight, using a short belt, changing tires, etc. But thats just me! :)

Take it easy!
josh

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When I had them on my 96GT for them to stick like they SHOULD I had to light them up for a GOOD 20-30 second burnout, almost till the car could not catch anymore. Yes, its hard on the car (being that it was an automatic) but it was the only way I could get them to work with my tranny setup. I got movies to prove it too! :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I personally think it helps to heat up the BFG's a good bit. I have trouble really heating them up because I dont have a line-loc so I just dump the clutch and let off just in time to get stopped before the lights. I have seen a vert at the track the same day with much better 60 fts. by heating them well with a line-loc. I usually slip at 2500 and then just floor it.

But yeah I agree, you start doing suspension mods like bill mustang92 and just bfg dr's and you will have a good chance of busting an axle.

But heah, bottom line, if you want to hook a s/c'd car right, you need slicks a drag suspension and better axles. JMO from the knowledge I accumulate from listening to Bill, Raven, Ed, and others here who seem to have a proven history of success.

good luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
WLWK4MODS said:
I personally think it helps to heat up the BFG's a good bit. I have trouble really heating them up because I dont have a line-loc so I just dump the clutch and let off just in time to get stopped before the lights. I have seen a vert at the track the same day with much better 60 fts. by heating them well with a line-loc. I usually slip at 2500 and then just floor it.

But yeah I agree, you start doing suspension mods like bill mustang92 and just bfg dr's and you will have a good chance of busting an axle.

But heah, bottom line, if you want to hook a s/c'd car right, you need slicks a drag suspension and better axles. JMO from the knowledge I accumulate from listening to Bill, Raven, Ed, and others here who seem to have a proven history of success.

good luck
I dont have a line-lock either. All you have to do is spin them once over in the water box, pull forward, put it in 1st or 2nd, bring the revs up, drop the clutch, and stab the brakes. Then when they beging to smoke, get off the brake, spin forward, and get on the clutch and off the gas. Line Locks are for wimps! j/k :):):)

Take it easy!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are the nitto's really that bad.i have a buddy with a 96 cobra with a sean hyland motor and he has cut 1.84 60 fts on 18 inch falken street tires.our track here in Epping N.H hooks really good on saturdays.loots of big tire cars.just for comparison sake,if he had drag radials on the cobra he might even see low 1.70's on nitto or bfg's.17 inchers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
vortech gt said:
are the nitto's really that bad.i have a buddy with a 96 cobra with a sean hyland motor and he has cut 1.84 60 fts on 18 inch falken street tires.our track here in Epping N.H hooks really good on saturdays.loots of big tire cars.just for comparison sake,if he had drag radials on the cobra he might even see low 1.70's on nitto or bfg's.17 inchers.
Don't read too much into my comments about Nittos. They are good tires and hook better than street tires. Results will vary widely for many reasons. They are good daily driven tires and do well on the street. But compared to a better tires like BFGs they don't hook as well. And it's not just the launch. Even at the tracik I got huge amounts of spin in EVERY gear with the Nittos. The BFGs got me nice chirps. That's not just sidewall flex doing that. The rubber is just plain stickier on BFGs. Since this thread was about Nittos at the track. That's what my comments were based on.

BUT, if I was to buy 275-40-17 drag radials again they would be BFGs. There several guys in the area having great luck with the 17 inch BFGs, most noteably a basic bolt on SS cracking high 11's with high-mid 1.6 sixty foot times. That impresses me. Yup it's an auto but that's still pretty good tire performance.

Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts