Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 95 Cobra putting down 240rwhp with Pullies, CAI, Bassani x w/cats, timing @12, fms 190, & 3.73's. I'm not looking to go radical as next weekend I'm picking up my long term project which is a 351. I'm looking for something that will give me a nice return but not break the bank because I'm tired of not having anything to do to my car :) (currently looking for a decent catback so other suggestions please)Something that I can re-use on the 351 would be nice but I'm not sure it's necessary because I don't expect to be ready for the 351 until at least the end of this year. (88 351 w/70k on the ticker)

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
OK how about:

MSD Ignition- I noticed some power and the rev-limit is good insurance

Bigger TB-Stock is kinda choking your intake

Headers-but I don't think you can re-use them on a 351, they are too short.

Adjustable FPR-mine ran awfully lean with a similar setup to yours

Good Good tuneup-Racing (Spiral wound is a must with MSD)wires, plugs, fuel filter, cap, rotor, etc.

Aluminum Driveshaft

Suspension goodies

I'm tryin' to figure out- You're down on HP compared to what I was. I had 256 rwhp with a big K&N cone filter, Jet hot shortys, Offroad H, 373s, timing at 12*, and that's it. Do the cats and headers make that big a difference?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I have an AFPR on the car, & an AL DS sitting in the house hoping to put it in next weekend. Headers I don't want to mess with because I can not re-use them for the 351, and I'm already running FMS 9mm's, new plugs, fuel filter and all the tuneup goodies. That leaves the TB, what are the possible gains on that and can I go up enough with that that it will not be too big for the 302 and not big enough for the 351??? What did you notice from the MSD ?? any numbers ??

As far as suspension goes I have a bullet setup so I'm only lowered about 1in and aligned perfect. I don't need CC's :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anybody have an opinion on a PIH kit?? I've heard good things up to and including a .5 gain in the 1/4 ??? If this is so count me as the next in line to get one of those :) How do they rate against say a custom burnt chip or even a box chip ??:evil:

·
Registered
323 Posts
MM&FF had a feature devoted to swaps last month. They ran through everything you could reuse and need to replace when moving up to a 351. You should check that out so you won't by anything that won't work later. (Also talks about headers, which you are not able to reuse). It lists part numbers, so I think it is useful resource to you.

I can scan the article and send it to you if you don't have it.

Sarah

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sarah but I have already read that mag from cover to cover and gone through the swap articles which I didn't find particularly useful. I've found much better information just using the search feature here and a few member websites. Right now I'm looking through all the debates on a PIH and extenders which looks like something I can carry over to the 351 :) Other suggestions/information ???

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sub Frames? Shifter?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Subframes is a good Idea :) (1st Winner)
and d%$n I need to update my sig I forgot to list my pro 5.0 shifter :lol:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I noticed someone said PIH. Cars a sn95 cobra. Defenatly the computer and cam are cutting u back on good h/p numbers. not sure if 302 computer would be interchangable with a 351, im guessing it would. But defenaly get some ignition upgrades, and u can carry them over to the 351 hopefully. Like people are saying, the EEC tuner seems to give these cars lots of options to play with. Another thing u might wana concider would be, subframe conectors-Adjustable fuel presure regulator-Aluminum driveshaft-maybe larger injectors-30lb with calibrated 80mm MAF- Possibly a larger T/B like atleast 70mm to match ur upper intake. Lot of little things can add up to get ur car going quick. Then agian im sure u dont wana spend all kinds of money on the 302 if ur going to put the 351 in soon.

·
Registered
705 Posts
NOS

Spray it!! You can a get a used nos kit for probably like 300-350 dollars, and get an extra 100rwhp. You said you are going to change to a 351 anyways. How would 340rwhp and probably 400rwtq sound for $350?? That would be viscous!!! :evil:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on that point I yeilded to my wife. She is very supportive of my hobby and spending habbits but has requested NO nitrous kits until I put my car onto a trailer... Seems fair enough :)

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
Sorry man I don't have numbers yet on the new ignition (MSD Digital-6). Had to unplug it yesterday because I had a problem with some of my wiring and switching back from it to the stock setup it felt noticably sluggish via the butt-o-meter, so there's probably more than a 5hp difference. Plus it has a built in 2step rev limit, and can control timing retard for nitrous. It will work with a 351.

Rear control arms- Stock lowers suck. Get some mega-bite jrs or something similar. Torque box reenforcements would be a good Idea too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gains from suspension mods like that?? The torque box reinforcements I will do when I drop the 351 in because they are torque monsters...

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
Putting control arms on the rear will give you a very considerable increase in traction. They will also make your car handle a lot better. Wheel hop will be almost gone - depending on what kind of uppers you use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts