Ford Mustang Forums banner

Whats my best approach for 500whp?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  OneFastEclipse 
#1 ·
My current setup I have been running for the past 5 years is in my signature. It is on a factory 120k mile shortblock, using a power pipe, 90mm sct maf, 60lb injectors etc. I am looking to hit the 500whp next year. I have a fresh 306 motor to go in with forged pistons, a trick flow track heat intake to replace the gt40, and am also looking to bump the boost a bit to get the power to come on a bit sooner. I'm looking to keep the rpms under 6k to help save the stock block. Would a 3.12 suit me best or should I go 3.0? I want to minimize possible belt slip as much as possible. I considered a larger crank pulley but I'm worried it won't clear the water pump pulley and aluminum radiator. What would work best?

#2 ·
See the 2 combos in my signature for a couple of examples of 500 and 500+ rwhp combos.

With your combo, I would suggest only 2 changes:

A Mr. Freeze Methanol kit with the middle jet installed and either a 3.125 or a 2.95 pulley depending on which "S" trim you have. If you have a V1, do the 2.95. If you have a V2, do the 3.125. Either way, you should see 14-15 psi and 500+ rwhp with less than a $250 investment and 1 hour of labor.

#4 ·
I have a 3.12 pulley and just ordered the belt tension bolt off ebay all let you know how that works i get belt slip bad also cant run bigger then 6.87 with sn95

#5 ·
To the op, I think 88lxhatch pretty much nailed it. I installed a Mr. Freeze kit on my car before going to a smaller blower pulley and have not retuned to this point. I just use the smallest jet for now for the intercooling and effective octane increasing benefits-basically just using it for the safety factor. For the pulley, I'd go with the 2.95 to reach your goal and for a more noticeable improvement in how the power comes in.

#7 ·
The Mr. Freeze works off of boost pressure so the more boost, the more methanol it sprays. You do not NEED to retune your car when installing it. Will you get a better, more precise tune if you tune it with a chip or other device? Yes, but not necessary.

Put the 2.95 on it and install the Mr. Freeze with the middle jet and you will achieve your goal safely. You're lucky. Your goal is an easy one to accomplish.....extremely straightforward.

#8 ·
Sounds pretty simple a few questions though. Which pulley do you reccomend i get, the one from vortech or one of the aftermarket companys? I want to avoid belt slip as much as possible. Also, about how long would that tank of meth last me?

#9 ·
I have tried to install a 8 inch pulley on are sn95 and they wont work sorry bro also u are going to get belt slip ..

I have no clue how much power my car is making but with a 305 rear nitto street tire I can do a 2rd gear pull and by the time the car gets to 5 grand it spinning all over the place lol

I love my 3.12 pulley but I have a v2 and custom discharge pipe do you still have the plastic discharged pipe ???

I gained 2 pounds of boost from making a custom discharged out of 3 inch piping and welding ACT sensor and Bypass valve nipple on it .. But then again my plastic discharged pipe was super small and Im blown away vortech used them ...

Im also going to order or buy a used Freeze kit . What chip are you running and who tuned your car ? Also calibrated mass air ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.