Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this engine from my neighbor it is a complete 351c 4v with closed chamber heads its out of a 70 mustang. my neighbors son had this engine in his mustang in the early 70's until it got rearended and the car had to be scrapped so he pulled the engine and saved it. the car was super low mileage under 15,xxx. the cylinder walls have no ridge and the honing marks are still easily seen, its never been bored either.he also threw in a set of doug thorley headers. it has both exhaust manifolds too in mint condition. i am thinking of selling this on craigslist anybody know what the value of this engine would be? thanks guys

· Registered
18,000 Posts
the term ..." MINT"... should only be utiliZed when the engine is CRATE NEW AND PERFECT / UNUSED at all in any way....

what you have described should be worth to a restorer / collector about 800 to 1000 max...if it really is a closed chamber head....

· Registered
177 Posts
351c

sounds like a story, but i have a 351 c 4v that has never been in a vehicle. i found a guy who retired from ford in the 70's and a new 351c left with him. he died a couple of years ago and i bought it from his wife, still in the ford crate. not sure if i'm going to sell it or put it in my mach1. what would it be worth?

· Registered
18,000 Posts
whatever HIS "few bucks"
actually is,
I will pay double that.

craigs list is not the place to try and sell this.. do yourself a favor and go right to hemmings motor news... ...

I do not feel that craigs list is the place that is going to have honest people that can true-ly appreciate the engine....

· Registered
129 Posts
As you probably already know the Cleveland came in several different flavors from the more desirable 4V closed chamber heads with 4 bolt main block in 71-72 to the more common 4v and 2v open chamber heads with 2 bolt main block in 72-74. I am sure there are lots of people that would be interested in the block regaurdless of which one you have. You just have to post your price and see who responds.

· Registered
129 Posts
HEADS

the casting numbers are on the under side of the intake runners, with the intake and heads on you can not tell, you could pull a plug and look in at the combustion chamber with a fiber optic probe, or with a little ingenuity with a brass or aluminum wire and go threw the spark plug hole, then feal around the combustion chamber, open chambers are round like the bore, closed are small wedge shaped, only about 3" from the plug hole to the other side of the chamber. no other way that i know of.

· Registered
638 Posts
I paid 250 dollars for a complete 4V OC 351C, it needed a complete rebuild but it ran. Craigslist is not where you will get the best price for hard to find stuff anyway. Like a friend of mine says, "you got to find an ass for the seat" when you are selling something unusual.

Also with Todds blocks arrival on the 351C scene I expect prices on oem stuff to calm down abit as a stronger better oiling 4 bolt block is a choice platform to build something nasty on.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.