Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about trucks, but I'm wanting to buy a Ford and a trailer to move my mustangs around occasionally. Otherwise, the truck would be my daily driver, so cant' be horrible with gas.

looking to find a good used Ford, less than 10 years old

wondering if anybody had any comments. I'm a novice about towing requirements

thanks

steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any idea what the tow weight of a Mustang and covered trailer is? Not a big trailer, just enough trailer to take the mustang.

thanks
steve

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I've got an open flat deck 18' trailer and it alone is 1500lbs, plus my 3000lb car. With loaded toolbox and such I'd think it comes in just under 5000lbs loaded. An enclosed trailer will naturally weigh even more.

My tow vehicle is just an F150 with of all things a 300 6 cylinder. I've swapped gears and added some rear suspenion and it handles it surprisingly well. I woudl prefer a bigger engine though and in all likelyhood when finances allow I'll be grabbing at least an F250. Currently I do short runs (1 hour or so each way), long distance traveling would worry me with such alight duty truck.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Steve93, I just picked up(1 month ago) a 15 foot trailer w/dovetail, slide out ramps, open center, 4-wheel brakes from Econo-trailer located in Glen Gardner NJ for $1650 new. If you want the # let me know. Right off of Rt 31

Trailer weight is 1350, my car weighs 2800 for a combined 4150.

I tow with a 97 Explorer w/ the 4.0 sohc motor and i have a brake controller also.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,393 Posts
This is my rig. Yes it's a Chevy. I got a good deal on it and it has been very dependable. The truck has a brake controller for the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We pull ours with a 99 chevy 3500 series. Pulls it like a feather.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A 97 up F-150 with a 5.4 would handle your car without a problem. You want trailer brakes/controller. A enclosed trailer will buck the wind more.

96 and older F series with a 351W would do the job easily also but are gas hogs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm looking to get a 4.0 or a 5.0
Ford Explorer 4 door.
Most likely the 4.0 because of the
gas milage,4 door because I like
the idea of the extra wheel base.
If you get a truck do yourself a big
favor & get the biggest trans cooler
you can.
It'll save you a few bucks down the line.

Chris

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you want gas mileage towing and daily driving go with a PSD. My dad has a 2002 and gets about 19MPG daily driving. He's had a few PSD's since '95 and he always got better than 15-16 MPG with them. You can't beat the price on them either. I can't even get 16MPG out of my '94 F-150, 5.0 Supercab and I do about 50 miles of highway driving each day to/from work.
Go with a PSD, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 2002 PSD, Crew Cab gets 19-20 on the highway also. compared to my old gas burner '92 250 it rides like a car and gets 7+ mpg better. Dont even ask about mileage towing with the gas burner. The PSD has gotten 16mpg with my open trailer and car on the highway. Above 65 MPH and the mileage drops quickly. If you are going all the way and paying for an enclosed trailer I'd go with a goose neck. It will pull much nicer than the tag-alongs. Something to consider if you do look at 250's is that a 350 is about the same price, more towing capacity, and with a 350 if you ever have a blow out there is still one more tire to hold that trailer. Electric trailer brakes and a brake controller are mandatory, in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts