Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reverse is out in a buddies 94 5.0 and it may be cheaper to find a used one rather than fix this one. Will only a 94-95 tranny work or will the older T5's work?
thanks
Mark

·
Registered
787 Posts
I may be talking out of my arse here, but from what I've read via other posts, I think you can use any Fox T-5 as long as you use a 95/95 input shaft (different length). Any more than that and someone else should tell you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think VIPERBLUELX is correct except for the fact if your changing the input shaft, you may as we'll be fixing the reverse gear. Only the 94-95 will work with everything else being stock. If you want to bolt in a fox body T5, you will need the fox bell and fork, and a driveshaft spacer, and I believe it requires an offroad pipe as the cats will be in the way of the fork, you may also have to cut the shifter hole a bit as the transmission will be an inch more forward. And i'm not sure about mounting to the crossmember, probably some fabrication. This is only my understanding of what is need I have not done this. I chose to use a 94-95 T5 in my AODE to T5 conversion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just threw in a T-5 from a 99+ 3.8L. Same box, but speedo is different. You will need to drill a pilot hole in the output shaft for the speedo gear conversion on the 94+ and use the output shaft housing on the 94 T-5. Seems to work good so far. Probably get one cheap since no one realizes the value of these trannys. They have better gears than the ones used in the 94/95 gt's.

My .02....

·
Registered
368 Posts
V6 T5's are the same deminsion as the 94/95 but do not have the same gears. The biggest diference is fifth gear is .73 not the .63.
Oh yea they'er not as strong either, rated at like 260 lb/ft.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've gotta T-5z in my 94 GT. Had to purchase a 86-93 Lakewood SFI bellhousing and an 86-93 clutch fork and cable for it to work though, the T-5z's are meant for fox bodies only....

The T-5z is rated higher than a regular T-5, I believe it's 330 but not 100 percent sure on that. Plus it has different 1-2-3 gears, a little steeper I believe.... :joy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts