Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up a mustang gt, I see tons of 96-98s for pretty good prices, same with 87-93s, but not as many 94-5s. I would think the 5.0s would be cheapest for aftermarket parts, am I right? I like the 99+ body style, but more $ than I want to spend right now. I'm really leaning towards the 94-98 style, should I stick to one with a 5.0, or are 4.6s just as good, or? I want your guys comments. I've only owned one mustang, but never drove it, since it had a blown motor, sold it before I completed it.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The SN-95 (94-98) Stang is a nice car. I admit it took a while to grow on me, but I have come to like it. As far as I know, the cylinder heads on a 96-98 4.6 GT car SUCK BIG TIME. I have heard that just by doing a '99 up head swap you can gain upwards of 45-50 hp. As far as the 94-95 goes, the 5.0 engine is nearly identical to the 93 5.0 engine, as far as I know, except for a few minor changes. If I were you, I would pick a Fox body stang for one reason, and that is availability of aftermarket parts for them. Granted, there are a lot of parts available for the SN-95 cars too, but my personal preference is the Fox platform. You can also probably pick up a decent used Fox for far less than you could find a 94-98 car, if cost is an issue. The decision is yours, but that's my opinion, let's see what everyone else has to say.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ive owned 3 fox cars. if i could do it over and have all that money back id go 94-95 with an evil n/a setup such as a 351 stroker swap with a tremec and be done. with the fox you have to spend a couple of grand for a decent brake and suspension setup that the 94+ somewhat already have. depending on where you live the fox'es have been around more years and body panels can be an issue more than the sn-95, also if anyone has driven them hard they flex more and may not be straight and have stress cracks. that is why one of the first bolt ons suggested is to get subframe connectors. Finally 94+ have a nicer interior especially leather versions

again this is what ID DO, not telling anyone this is the "right mustang"

you can always go budget and find a 1979 car and make it a killer carb setup with the lazier smog laws.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
of course I am kinda partial to the square eyed fox bodies of 1986. While the heads on those sucks, the body style is becoming rare and quite collectible.

quite frankly, I would pick up a very cheap fox body, and spend all my extra money on mods. I have seen running foxes down here for 1g all the time. I would pick up a fox for my second car, and not my primary car.

If this is to be your primary transportation, The fox bodys are not know for their sophistication, I would go for the 94 ups.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the 87-93 LX Coupe!!! I have had 23 mustangs but now I am down to 91 Coupe, 90 Hatch and a 89 Saleen convertible. The coupe is just a great body to work with and really stands out!!! Your choice depends on your plans for the car...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, the best all time mustangs are the 89-92 LX 5.0. 87 and 88 still had speed density (except for california cars), i had to convert my 88 to mass air,(i might mention mine's a GT not an LX, but i couldn't pass up an 88 with ony 17k miles on it!!!) also 93 and up 5.0's dropped like 10 horsepower! this was because they stopped using the e7**ish truck heads. and the fox is so much lighter and just faster than the sn-95's. If you were to get an SN-95, go fot the 94, and swapp the heads. other than that, i'd say 89-92. But its completley up to you. Good luck, later buddy

1988 Mustang GT, Hatchback, 5spd, cabernet red w/ titanium lower. 17k miles (sn-95 killer)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Anything '86-'93, Duh! '85 if you don't mind converting it to EFI.:D They quit making Mustangs after '93. /flame suit on...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
'87-93 are generally recommended for Foxbodies because of incremental changes that pretty much peaked in '87.
87-88 speed density (except 88 Calif). MAF after that. '93 had hypereutectic pistons. The LX is lighter than the GT.

Good places to get info
http://www.mustanggt.org/main.htm
http://www.mustangregistry.org/

SN95. Yes, bigger and heavier, but also a more solid, less flexible platform. Better brakes.

5.0L has a huge aftermarket. More available and cheaper than 4.6L.

All depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
88GT_SprCHARGED said:
also 93 and up 5.0's dropped like 10 horsepower! this was because they stopped using the e7**ish truck heads.
Not trying to flame but the only engine difference between 87-92 and 93 was the switch to hyper pistons instead of fordged. The reason in the drop of HP was due to ford's change in they way they measured HP. A 93 is just as good as any 87-92 for the average user, they just have hyper's instead of fordged pistons.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My fav is the 91. Of course thats what I have so I am partial. You get the black body moulding and the increased wheelwell openings up front. I still haven't taken to the 94+ cars.

And of course get a notch. But thats a no brainer.

The brake issue mentioned above is actually a really good point.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My favorite Mustang was my '89. MAF, forged pistons, tilt wheel...and no bags in the inside door panel! :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would not hesitate one sec on buying any 87-93. 89-93 to gain the MAF w/out hassle. 91-93 to get the better front fenders. If the right deal comes along, I'd get one without a thought.

BUT......If I had my choice, I want the 94 or 95. I know it's a bit heavier, but I would add enough power to make up for it. I've had my fox since high school. Maybe I just like the different body. The biggest advantage in my eyes, is the better brakes and handling. It is so EASY to put un godly big brakes on the 5 lug.

So important to me, that I am in the hunt for parts to swap my 83 to 5 lug.

just my .02

BOTTOM LINE......83-03 ROCKS!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like the 88s and 89s the best. I now prefer Hatchbacks because the roll cage installation is so much easier IMHO. I also like the ability to really work inside the entire car without limitation.

I could care less what it has in it when I buy it because it's going to be completely redone within a few months anyway.. ;) I can't keep my hands off anythin g whenI buy a new car. Everything has to be modified and overbuilt to my standards ;)

I have an 88GT and an 89LX, but I just like the 88 GTs better. Regardless of my personal likes and dislikes, if it's a V8 Stang, I'm all over it. ;)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
FastMonkeyWheels said:
A 93 is just as good as any 87-92 for the average user, they just have hyper's instead of fordged pistons.
Define average user. I have a stock bottom end with aftermarket everything else and a Kenne Bell blower with ~11psi of boost on my '93 coupe. Yep, that's with the hyperpathetic pistons. 4 years and counting :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Fast Horse said:
Define average user. I have a stock bottom end with aftermarket everything else and a Kenne Bell blower with ~11psi of boost on my '93 coupe. Yep, that's with the hyperpathetic pistons. 4 years and counting :D
lol...glad to hear it. I don't have any experience with them, I just wanted to mention to him the possibility. I've heard of people blowing them with N02, thought I'd be safe, their problem was probably timeing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dont get a 94-98. The styling is gay and the interior is less than acceptable. The Sn95 cars weigh way too much. Id get like an 89 or something.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
'85 if you don't mind converting it to EFI
Keep it carbed if you go 85, there is NOTHING like the sound of a V-8 at WOT with the 4-barrels opened up.......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments guys! I always liked the 91-92s, or around there. Someone mentioned different fenders on them, I always thought they looked a little different. I found a 91 near me black, 5 speed, etc... everything I'd like to get. I also found a nice black 98, loaded, but don't want to spedn too much. I am selling a 91 stealth rt twin turbo, pay off some debts and need a good perf. car for a driver when its nice.

I definetly want fuel injection, I have a 69 road runner, 440, 450+ hp, 70 road runner pro street project, 68 satellite, etc... a mopar guy, but realyl just a car guy! I used to hate mustangs, just too many, but I don't see that many anymore. I owned a couple lt1 cars and an ls1 car, but too much to mod, so the 5.0s look like a good way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts