Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in a new smog pump 2 months ago and it is already bad. The pump makes a realy bad clunking noise, and the pulley is hard to turn by hand. When I turn it by hand it feals loose than tight. This is what the first pump did also. Help I dont know whats wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Why don't you just pick up an idler pulley for the novi, I can't imagine why you would still have an air pump wi th that setup.

Chris

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
possibly overly tight serpentine belt? bending the pump's shaft?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Overtightening the serpentine belt--not possible. The tension applied by the tensioner is linear, therefore the force applied on the belt is the same regardless of the angle of the tensioner. My guess is you have a wobbling pulley somewhere, or the smog pump bracket is somehow bent, placing the pulley at a slight angle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coupester Do you meen somthing like a smog pump eliminator kit?? From what I can see a smog pump eliminator wont work because the alternator bolts to a boss on the smog pump.

The Novi has a separat pulley then the accessories, I am confused about what you meen by a idler pully for the Novi?

Thanks for the help though Is there a kit to remove the smog pump with the novi???

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I have installed a couple of those kits for people, but am by no means an expert. The one thing I can't remember is the location of the tensioner pulley on the main bracket. I'm not sure if it will keep tension if you completely remove the smog pump. As far as mounting to the alternator, the alternator bracket has a little ear at the front which a long bolt slides through. This is where the smog pump goes in. So, to answer your question, no it does not mount to the alternator in any way. My suggestion would be to research on corral to see if you can remove the pump altogether. If you can't due to the belt routing with the Novi kit, get an idler pulley and be done with it.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts