AFR 205's (box stock)
Victor 5.0 manifold (1 inch spacer)
Custom ground cam (244/240 @ .050)
80mm TB
4 inch Power pipe
80mm Pro M
1 3/4 - 1 7/8 headers
3 inch exhaust

Right now I'm running a tad bit more compression and a set of ported AFR 185's with an extremely ported Performer RPM intake. This setup has made 425 RWHP and 420 RWTQ and gone a best of 124.8 MPH with a 3400lb. race weight. Power peaked right at 6k.

How much do you think I can gain by stepping up the heads and manifold?

While doing the head/manifold swap I will also be adding a crank case evac system, a windage tray, and a set of Sherman modified lifters. Oh and the last thing. Those dyno numbers and times where through a Tremec 3550 and I'm going to be using a G force T5 this time around.

Any guess on HP/TQ outputs?

Where would you expect the 205/Victor 5.0 setup to peak at?

Suggestions?

:confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is your cam a hydraulic roller? That victor intake is a high RPM intake for a hydraulic roller because of lifter float. You are making a lot of power for using a performer intake. I would suggest the RPM II intake or the Holley with a welded/ported lower. A stage 5 Twisted wedge head would be faster over the AFR 205 head.

·
Old timer
6,165 Posts
n10spwr said:
Is your cam a hydraulic roller? That victor intake is a high RPM intake for a hydraulic roller because of lifter float.

What? Lifter float? Wrong!
You are making a lot of power for using a performer intake. I would suggest the RPM II intake or the Holley with a welded/ported lower.

Leave the Victor...
A stage 5 Twisted wedge head would be faster over the AFR 205 head.

Yeah.. right... This is too funny... Stage 5? LOL

~~~~~

Just change the cam to a better matched piece. If we can make 425 RWHP with a naturally aspirated 306 incher, flat tops and a hydraulic roller cam, a 347 should do better...

Ed

·
Registered
164 Posts
ED, lifter float happens with hydraulics or do you know this? Let me guess your cams prevent this. Are you and Rick Anderson Brothers or just kneel and bob. ED, have you heard of average power or do you always suggest a 7000 rpm intake with a hydraulic roller. Maybe this guy will spend his money at FTI (for the ignorant).

Your the joke ED! I called REED cams one time and they refered me to FTI for pushrods that restrict oil to stop lifter float. Funny!

·
Old timer
6,165 Posts
n10spwr said:
ED, lifter float happens with hydraulics or do you know this? Let me guess your cams prevent this. Are you and Rick Anderson Brothers or just kneel and bob. ED, have you heard of average power or do you always suggest a 7000 rpm intake with a hydraulic roller. Maybe this guy will spend his money at FTI (for the ignorant).

Your the joke ED! I called REED cams one time and they refered me to FTI for pushrods that restrict oil to stop lifter float. Funny!

Hey Loser...

Again you prove you are a total idiot... Your AFM threads are just not enough huh...

Time to ban this moron Rob....

Hey moron, your gene pool needs filtering, get your nuts clipped...

Ed

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...can we get back to my post now?:confused:

I deffinately will not be getting rid of my Victor manifold.

Ed, maybe you could PM some reasoning behind a different cam chioce? I need to stay with a Hydrolic roller. My AFR 185's have been milled quite a bit and P2V clearence is VERY tight. I would like to not have to mill the 205's to possibly free up some more room for more cam. This may not be necessary though, as I would like to keep the RPM rangle down as much as I can and still make good power.

I would like to see far more than the 425 I have now.

Its 450+ rwhp or I will just leave it all alone.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Well if you have ever been to a NMRA race you have seen a Pure Street car. They are 310 inch 7800 rpm na motors that run mid 10's at 3200lb. On a stock unmodified Ford roller lifter. Ed is not the only guy that is doing it.

Do your home work and come back when have any idea what happens at the track on the race weekends

Tim

Ed
I expected a better responce than that. This is entertainment

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Ed sure does have a way with words, doesnt he? LOL.
I guess you'd wanna ask guys like Robin Lawrence and the other Real Streeters running high 9's revving to 7500+ with stock Ford lifters. Theres a couple guys on here doing it. The key is the proper valvetrain componants.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hey you can't go over 6,000 rpm or so with the stock lifters or even high priced hydraulic lifters.....you know that Ed. :rolleyes:

Mine will run to 7,000 rpm with the hydraulic lifters.

Ed, you need to get a hold of Tom in Minny. He is having serious 'go fast' withdrawls and hasn't been able to reach you. Did you get his message? He sent me a e-mail asking where you have been.

Yellow94Gt,

Why not just opt for the AFR 225 with that Victor intake. That is what I am running on mine. It is killer from 3500 or so on up to the moon! If your looking for a freight train like pull and endless RPM blasts for the 1/4 you couldn't go wrong.

Ed Stettin

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think you are on the right path if you wish to make more hp. A couple of things to think about- to maintain your CR, you will need to have the same chamber vol as the 185's, right? So milling will be necessary. Keep the 11 to 1.
What is the lsa on your cam? Wihout more info I would guess you would be happy keeping it with the 205's. Go for more port volume, you will be glad you did.
I dont know what Sherman lifters are but many people make great numbers with the stockers, so why change a good thing?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ERStettin - 225's? Never even considered it
until you said that. I would like to keep the RPM's down somewhat, but not having to upgrade the heads, (again), when I build my next motor, (351 based stroker), sounds nice. Care to share some more info on your logic here?

ndmp40 - My cam specs are like this,
244/240 @ .050
.577/.544
108* lobe sep.

Lobes are comps XE lobes.

Anyone else have some input?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yellow94GT save your money if your going to build 351w. I would put my money on a418 stroker kit 4.100 crank 6.200 h-beam rods&JEpistons.W/205AFR's,600in.585ex. lift hyd.roller will put you over 525hp W/over 500ft.lbs.torque. More than enough to put you in the 10's W/10:1 compression ratio.

Bobby @www.perfeng.cc

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
machineman42 said:
Yellow94GT save your money if your going to build 351w. I would put my money on a418 stroker kit 4.100 crank 6.200 h-beam rods&JEpistons.W/205AFR's,600in.585ex. lift hyd.roller will put you over 525hp W/over 500ft.lbs.torque. More than enough to put you in the 10's W/10:1 compression ratio.

Bobby @www.perfeng.cc
I'm not worried about getting into the 10's

My current 347 combo is more than capable of getting there.

:D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yellow94GT said:

ndmp40 - My cam specs are like this,
244/240 @ .050
.577/.544
108* lobe sep.

Lobes are comps XE lobes.

If it were me I would use a different cam. You need more lift and a bit less lsa if you go with the 205's. I would not go with a bigger duration cam if you use the 205's. Think average hp, not peak.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmcclesk said:
Drew how long have thinking about this???
Pretend that you never saw this post Jon;)

Check PM's

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
n10spwr said:
I'm not taking sides here but lifter float does happen on hydraulic cams. I had this problem for years which is why I went to solid rollers. But, I found out later on what was happening is that heavy valve springs force the oil back out of the lifter at high rpms faster than the oil pump pressure can pump it back in. So, by using the restrictor pushrods, you force the oil to stay in the lifter which keeps it pumped up instead of leaking down. leaking lifters don't open valves correctly, and basically act like a rev limiter. You CAN use hydraulic lifters at high (over 7000) rpms, seen it done too many times

BTW, Ed. Can you get 3/8 oil restrictor pushrods for a 351C? I need some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts